Thinking about switching from four to five - comments?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DevinI, Apr 6, 2004.

1. 4 Strings

17 vote(s)
  2. 5 Strings

16 vote(s)
  3. Other

11 vote(s)
  1. DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    im just wondering and also im kinda in a bind about switching to a 5 string, ive been playing 4 string for a year and im not sure so if you feel like posting anything that could help choose feel free
  2. michaelsanford

michaelsanford Guest

Apr 4, 2004
    I was considering switching to a fretless, if I do I'm going 5 string.
  3. IMO, five string fretless means one more string to trip over. It's a big enough chore getting decent intonation on a fretless when starting out.

(Speaking as someone who upgraded to a 5-string fretless from a 4/fretted too)
  4. i bought a 5'er a couple of years ago and the b string turned out to be an overpriced thumbrest. (it also didn't help that the bass wasn't that great either :rolleyes: )four is fine for me but i am not scared to go 6 or higher as soon as i can afford it.
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I play fretted and fretless 4-strings. I bought a MM SR-5, but I'm having trouble getting used to the B-string. I've decided the only way for me to become decent on the 5 is to put my 4's away for a couple of months and dedicate my attention to the 5.

I just hope I can still play my 4's when I'm finally used to the 5! :D
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I switched to my first 5 not long ago and it didnt take too much to get used to it. Slapping im still not used to, but fingerstyle is easy to go from 4 to 5 and back again,
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    7s and 8s for me!! :D
  8. I currently play an inexpensive (but adequate) 6-string bass, b/c I'm in a transition to 7 strings, where I'll stay. I didn't want to jump from 5 to 7, and I'm also hoping (but not holding my breath) that by waiting, there will be some new 7-string offerings on the market.
  9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I jumped from a 4 to a 6 and dont regret it - but it might not work for everyone. if you want to buy a 5, go out and try some of them. (however i feel the C gets more use than the B string, so a fiver in my case wouldnt have been the good choice, maybe if it was tuned EADGC...)
  10. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Well the Bassplayer from Presidents of the United States of America used a 2 string bass. The guitarist used a 3 string guitar. The drummer, well he used a no string drum set. Atleast that's what it said in the liner notes ;)
  11. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I use to play on 6 string basses but I realy don t like 5 string ones.
    When I had to choose for a jazzbass, I decided to order a 4s.
  12. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I switched to 5 about 3 years ago and I'm so glad that I did. I play fingerstyle. It took approx 2 mos to get comfortable with it. I never use the open B but I use low notes on the B often....just give you more range and allows your fretting hand to stay relatively in the same position on the board instead of sliding up and down for high and low notes. The trick (if you're on a budget like me) is to find a 5er with a decent B.
  13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    16 non doubled fretted
    1 string fretless slide
    8 string Whamola
  14. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I play a 5-string, but I honestly don't use it that much. I just don't use the B string for anything E or higher. So, that means the B only gets used for those 5 extra notes.

Plans for my warmoth custom, are for a 4.
  15. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    6's mostly but 5's and 4's also...what ever is called for...If i'm playing my own stuff, then fretless 6...if someone is paying me to do something specific then i play what they ask for...
  16. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

i use the whole range of it, except not usually above A on the low B...dont want the intonation to get weird on me.
  17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Devin, I got rid of the poll (what purpose did it serve?) and retitled the thread to something more accurate...
  18. I switched a couple of years ago and think it's the bomb to have a low D to play. It took me a little while to get used to it, but I don't play alot. If you gig regulary or practice a lot, the transition should be easy and quick. But what do I know ;-)