Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about switching to Elixers....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Magelus, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Magelus

Magelus

Sep 12, 2004
    Ohio
    I'm thinking about switching from EB to Elixer strings. Just wondering if they do sound anything like traditional roundwounds like they claim to. Also, has anyone really had a set last two years before going dead? I've heard some people make claims on that, but I'm almost afriad to believe it, especially since I've heard other people claim that they break at the drop of a hat. Most I've ever really been able to make string last is about five months, but even that's because I liked the mellow sound from half-dead strings. I just want to make sure these are a good deal before I drop $40 on them. I play mostly jazz with a little bit of slap-funk just for kicks, so I need a somewhat punchy, yet still pretty mellow tone. Also, if it makes any difference, I've got a Lakland 55-01 with an Ampeg ba-115. Doubt it would, but who knows.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My F Bass has these strings on it, and it is gonna keep having them on it. And when my Modulus needs new strings, it's gonna get em too.

To my ears, they have a great roundwound sound to them. I can't comment on how long they will last, as I have only had the F for a few months now, and the Elixirs were pretty new when I got it. But the bass has gotten A LOT of playing time on it, and the strings still sound as great now as the day I got it. And they are oh so much easier on the fingers.

3. IHeartBass127

IHeartBass127

Nov 23, 2004
    i had elixers on my old ibanez four-string and they lasted a year until i sold the bass as well as the strings. but i still talk to the kid that i sold it to and he says that he hasn't changed the strings yet, so that's just over a year and a half that the strings have lasted.

they sound really twangy when you first get them, but after a week or so of really heavy playing they start sounding great, the kind of sound that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. but i havent heard him play them for about 3 months now so i'm not sure how they're holding up.

Hope this helps

Peace

Robot

4. Magelus

Magelus

Sep 12, 2004
    Ohio
    any feedback is welcome. Anybody have any negative critisism to add though? After all, these strings can't be perfect.

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

The Elixrs sounded great on my EMG equiped Jazz basses, but lifeless on my passive basses; they also sounded lifeless on my friends EB SR5. However, they do last quite a long time, and the feel is smooth for a RW, supple too. If your hoping to have a similar "zing " to the EBs, you will be dissapointed.

H2

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive never had a set go completely dead, usually what happens is they start to fray; ie: the coating begins to come off. They last a good 6 months at least before this begins to happen though. It shouldnt happen if u play with ur fingers and arent gentle. If u play harder,i think they might fray eventually.

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have to say that I'm not fussed on them. They last forever, that is, untill the coating comes off in chunks, but that's all they seem to have going for them. I don't like the sound of them, that is, they sound more like wood than metal to me, and I hate woody sounds, and the tension, oh the tension. Flabbiest set of strings I have EVER used. I had to raise the action on the B string of my sixer a full quater of an inch. Not happy Jan. But alas, I continue to use them considering that I got 3 6 string sets for $100 US and they retail for something stupid like $180 Australian, not to mention ALL six string sets in this friggin remote country require you to mortgage off the bass you want to restring just to get the strings. Ok I'm done now.

8. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    There great strings,I had a set that lasted 5 months, and thats fairly good for me. I had a set last 7 on my spector way back, but I also play more now.

9. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

That's funny. I found just the opposite to be true for me. The low B on my Elixir equipped F Bass BN6 blows the doors off of my DR Lowrider equipped Modulus Quantum 6 (and as everyone knows, Mod Q's are renowned for their low B strings). Well, maybe it doesn't quite blow the doors off of it, but it is noticably better. YMMV, of course. :)

10. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Damnit. I wish my B string blew doors off. Well, it does actually... And the bass is so damn solid I could probably knock doors down with it. But I'm hard to please, very picky, and don't like the fact that if the action is too low, the B string clacks against the frets when I play the E string. Very annoying.

11. mashed potatoes

mashed potatoes

Nov 11, 2003
    i personally don't like them.
    they have a unique feel to them, and you either like it or you don't. you may want to try them out on a bass in a store first.

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I used to change my strings every two weeks or so, until I got my Elixirs. I've had this set on since April, and they're holding up pretty well. The tension is starting to creep up on me, so I'm going to change them soon, they're incredible! The tone lasts like the Energizer bunny. The feel is a little more slick than nickels, I find, but totally there for digging in, and for slap. Get the Nanowebs, the Polywebs are the ones that come off in chunks. Looks like a snake molting when they do that.

13. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Yeah well my nanowebs seem to shed their skin after about a gig. Especially on the B string.

14. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

I was using redneck terminology there......sorry. ;)

I don't have any problems with the B on my F Bass whatsoever. I am also VERY picky about the low B feel/sound quality on my basses. I have been spoiled by owning Modulus Quantums for a few years now, so there are very few basses that I am satisfied with as far as the B string goes.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    What's this "coating/skin" y'all are talking about?

16. Magelus

Magelus

Sep 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Elixir strings are coated with (I think, anyone know for sure?) a polymer that keeps oils and acids from your fingers from getting on the strings. This keeps the strings alive a lot longer because the metal isn't being eaten by your bodily fliuds.

But yeah, I'll see if I can find a chance to try out some in the store before I buy them. Thanks for the input guys!

17. Don't hesitate - I used DR Lo-riders
    & Sunbeams before converting to
    Nanwebs on all my basses. IMO,
    the have the best balance of tone,
    feel, and tension than any other string
    I've tried. And they're extremely
    durable - my oldest set is 10 months
    old. BTW, I do play hard w/a pick 70%
    of the time and there is no shedding!
    :hyper:

18. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    in my opinion these strings are tone sucking strings. The coating steals from the brightness that you get when the strings ever so gently tap the frets during stiff play or slapping.

Just my opinion. I bought them once and then went back to the ernie balls. plus....they are very expensive to only last just as long as regular strings. The coating just kinda flakes off if you do a lot of tapping and stuff.

Save yourself the agony of dealing with this if you're a slapper. Just buy the dunlap string cleaner if you are interested in new sounding strings for months.

Like I said....Just my opinion.

danman

19. I respect your opinon & will politely disagree ;) .
    I used to slap all the time, perhaps not as much
    these days but I think coated strings are more prone
    to damage from my pick playing than my thumps,
    taps, and snaps. I also think the Polys will shed before
    the Nanos.

You have a point about brightness and anyone who
    likes very bright strings, especially stainless steel strings,
    may want something else. I do not like harsh, bright,
    SS, strings and that's why I left Hi-beams/Lo-beams for
    DR Sunbeams, and then Elixirs (plenty bright for my taste).

BTW, I play MusicMan basses and have no problems
    getting a bright tone or an awesome slap tone w/Nanos

20. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    I have a set on a stingray, they are about 2 months old now. I like them.