1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking about switching to flats, too warm for hard rock/metal?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LlymboKO, Jun 16, 2007.

1. LlymboKO

LlymboKO

Aug 22, 2006
    I have stuck to using solely Round DR Hi Beams for quite a while now on my GMP Elite 4 string. My band plays in drop C# tuning and I don't seem to have the clarity I would like on the low C#. I found myself resorting to a pick for recording because it just sounded clearer. I've have bought thicker gauge strings hoping that would compensate for the floppy, buzzing, clicking, unclear sound, it helped but I still wasn't satisfied. I was curious if switching to flats or semi rounds would help my case any? The thing is I do a lot of slapping as well. I still need to be able to cut the mix being in a heavier band. We're very bass driven so the bass needs to be very evident.

2. What strings are you using now?
    maybe you would be better off buying a 5 string set and using the bottom four, just going B E A D instead?

3. LlymboKO

LlymboKO

Aug 22, 2006
    I'm using DR Hi beams with .105 gauge E cause the Guitar Center I went to didn't have the .110 and I needed new strings right then. I've tried the 5 string set.....but it killed my fingers with it came to the slapping and popping....then i tried just replacing the low E with a B it worked pretty well, but then it threw my intonation off because of the unbalanced tension on both sides of the neck.

4. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    Given the tuning that you describe, C# A D G, your only real option is to use the low B string, and compensate the intonation at the bridge.
    Flats are not likely to sound right for you.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021