Thinking about SX vs Squire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJ_Sullivan, Jul 15, 2004.

1. RJ_Sullivan

Jul 14, 2004
    I'm new around here, although I've been lurking awhile, and I'm just starting out on bass. I have decided to buy my first setup - I've been renting for the last month or so to see if I'd stick with it. I was leaning towards getting a Squire Jazz since I love the traditional style and tone of the Fenders, and the local Guitar Center has some of their Squire P-Basses and Jazz Basses on sale or clearance. Ideally I'd go with a MIM Fender but since I also have to buy a practice amp, I didn't want to put out $400+ for a new one. I wanted to stay away from buying used because ther aren't a lot of good trustworthy shops around here, and being so new to bass, I wouldn't be good at evaluating the condition of a used one.
    Anyway, I was also looking at the SX basses since so many people here seem to like them. How do they compare to the Squires? They are both about the same price since the Squires are on sale.
    Are they both easy to upgrade down the road? I thought that maybe I'd add a different bridge or upgraded pups later.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a way to try the SX (or Essex as some call them), so I'm looking for opinions from those who have seen/tried both.

Thanks for takin' the time to read..!

RJ :hyper:
  2. I'd say the SX basses are just as good if not better than Squier, and hell of a lot cheaper brand new. Problem is, just like Squier, their hit-or-miss as far as getting a good one. Best thing to do would be is to try one yourself down at the shop if you could, or possibly get another TBer who lives near Rondo Music to go try out and get the good one and send it to you, I'm sure someone would be willing to help you if it came to that.
  3. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got both and like them just as equal. I haven't owned any high end basses to compare to, but once I get "El Nino", I'll be able to compare.
  4. Unless you find an original-run Squire, then I'd go with SX. I've even found that the SX Jazz-style basses are better than the MIM Fender Jazz at times.
  5. i agree, i think the essex is a little better than a squier.

6. RJ_Sullivan

Jul 14, 2004
    Thanks for the info so far. I also noticed that along with regular Jazz and P-Bass setups, SX also has a P/J config with what looks like a P-Bass body. Would you guys recommend a straight Jazz or their P/J configuration? Thanks!

7. Well, the P/J combo gives a sample of both basses. You can get the P sound while getting the middy growl from the J. If you want a really growly, in your face bass, go for the Jazz, if you want a punchy, fat low end sound, go with the P
  8. RJ_Sullivan

Jul 14, 2004
    Well...I do like fat and punchy low end. Maybe I should be looking at a straight P instead? Would the P/J offer the same low-end punchiness as a stand-alone P? I was lookin' at a Jazz primarily because I've been told they offer more flexability, are easier to play, and I do like the style. It's hard for me to tell since I'm pretty new to this stuff, so when I try different basses out they all sound crappy 'cause I play crappy. :)
    I do like that traditional low-end and punchiness. Although I'm not a huge Maiden fan, I do really dig that Steve Harris tone. Any ideas on picking a good one to order?

9. With a P/J combo you can get the fat low end of the P and mix in the middy growl of the J. Honestly, go try a P/J combo if you can, try a couple more Js and Ps and then make your decision. It's kinda hard to totally choose when we are discussing tones instead of hearing them.
  10. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs

check out the edge series......for there price there awsome, a bit higher then you want though.

Squires are extremly hit and miss in quality, there hardware is usually pretty nasty, pups are just......lacking, and they use sub par woods ( ive seen as bad as a blatent KNOT in a body )
  11. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    My 2 cents worth........I suggested the Squire Bass Pack to a friend for her daughter to learn on. I set it up for her once it was received. Decent package for beginners but the Bass itself was crap. Volume pot was bent straight from the box. Pick guard was cheap one layer. Strings sucked and fret work was very sloppy. This thing was nearly impossible to tune. I then read the "made in Indonesia" sticker on the neck and realized why it sucked. Fender name appears on the bass somewhere, which is a shame to the name. Going budget, go with SX.