Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking about the hands

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

When I plunge into the zone where I'm pushing the limit of how fast I can play (continuously), tension starts to build in my fingers. This tension gradually contorts my fingers until I'm actually playing with bad technique. To fix this, I envision my hands: where they are on the strings, in relation to the fretboard/pickups. My question for those who have done this or want to try this: upon envisioning and kinesthetically sensing the hands while playing, is it easier to think of each hand doing a separate thing, or is it easier to think of both hands as part of a whole process that is happening with the bass?

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I think you would want to train your hands until it became second nature. I'm totally unaware of what my right hand is doing. I'm in a zone where I'm hearing more than looking or feeling. these things have become more instinct. I guess it's like riding a bike. After a while you just get on and ride without thinking about it.

3. paintballjunkie

paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    Indiana
    ^I find that concentrating on what my hands are doing actually messes me up.

4. I don't think about so much what my hands are "doing" (except in practice) rather I tap in periodically on how they are "feeling".

My ears here the music and I use the feedback from my fingers as they "feel" to give me what I want to hear....

If that makes any sense at all, I don't know.

Relaxation of the hands is essential. And this feed back process helps me to relax.

5. kipsus

kipsus Physicist

Sep 18, 2005
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Thinking about how to play this or that actually messes me up too. There's more to think about than fingering...

6. those are wise words. It's better not to think. Because thinking/paying attention happens on the surface of the brain(cortex) and is taking time (sorry if I sound like a smarta..) by time the repeated motions can be pushed to inner parts of the brain and can be made automatically without paying attention thus without wasting time. So it is better to work slowly and pay attention what you are doing and when it becomes second nature to you, you can go faster without paying attention what/how you are playing. When I'm playing I don't know what my plucking fingers are doing and when I am tapping two hands most of the time I fret with my left hand automatically and pay attention to my right which is normally used to pluck..

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would spend a few hours a week on whatever it is that's got you down. It will just go into your muscle memory and you will be free like a bird.

I play progressive metal/alternative rock and use a lot of pretty sophisticated 3 finger RH stuff. It isnt unusual for me to spend spend an hour or more a day on just one rhythmic pattern (especially if it is in an odd time signature)- and I've been practicing my right hand technique and speed since around 2001!