1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thinking about this SX SPB 5 string....yes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Solid Alder body
    Bolt-on Maple neck with 21 jumbo frets
    J-Bass type passive pickup
    about 9lbs.
    $120

I hear a lot of good things about SX, so I figure this would be a good way to experiment with a 5 string since they are fairly inexpensive. Good investment for a 4 string player that wants to bump it up to a 5? (I dont want to know about other brands, just about the SX 5 string series)

Anyone own one of these?

Attached Files:

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Worth the money. All that really matters.

People that want to like them like them. People that want to complain will complain about them.

Still worth $120. In my opinion.

3. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    In my opinion you get what you pay for. If this is gonna be your first 5 string then I say go for it. If you want something that's gonna play and sound great right away you might wanna save up for something else. I have herd a lot of people on here that like them so it couldn't hurt to give it a try and if you don't like it at least you didn't spend too much to get it.

4. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    yeah, i've played a squier 5 string and didnt really care for it. i figured this would be a good start to get used to it. id eventually love one of the new Fender P-Bass 5 strings! those things are sweet!

this is what i came across, i know there is more sites and store out there but this caught my eye:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars5.html
    looking at it there really isnt one better than the other. body woods maybe?

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I don't know that I completely agree with the first part.

I'll admit, when I was first told about SX, I figured "junk" . Gotta be at that price.

My guitar player had one shipped to my house for his son. I recal opening the box with VERY low expectations. First impression was "holly S#$%, this is very nice for short short money.

Impressed enough where I bought one as a backup... which eventualy became my main bass.

No, I didn't want to like a hundred dollar bass, but after having one in my hands, it was hard not to like.

Just my experience. I've had great luck with them.

6. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    That's what I like to hear. Price wise I wasnt too worried, some basses are low in price but big in performance. I think I'll experiment with the SX series. They have some nice looking fretless 4 strings too...another day another dollar.

This 5er will probably be mine one day.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

The SX stuff usually needs a good set up right out of the box, but that's going to be expected on most any bass, particularly at the "Budget" price point.

These can be great players with a little fine tuning.

If you get on that happens to be a clunker, Rondo's return policy is outstanding. They'll replace or refund if you get one that has any issues.

8. bspot

bspot

Sep 9, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    I am the proud owner of a 5 string SX - I wholeheartedly endorse them for anyone wanting to give 5 stringers a shot.

9. Gord-
    I predict that today's SX bass will be the 'Fender 51 P' at some point in the future. A simple functioning bass that works well.
    I've had mine a couple of weeks. I'm selling my other basses so I can get back to my P roots.

10. I've got 3 Fender Jazz basses(2 of them 4 stringers & 1 5 stringer ) various other basses 4's & 5's and 3 SXJB 5's.......In one of my SXJB 5'S I've loaded it with Bartolini's, Leo Quan Badass V, a SX Maple black blocked neck........and to real honest, if I had purchased and put together that bass I wouldn't have purchased my Fender Deluxe 5........the SX feels better,sounds better and all in all it didn't cost an arm & leg.
    SX's are sometime rough outta the box.....I guess I've been lucky and got some nice ones,but with a few upgrades you've got a workable instrument.......IMO.

GRISSLEHEAD

11. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm loving the input guys. SX has proven their name over and over again.
    Now, if you had to pick one?
    http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars5.html
    I'm still liking the one I had picked out.
    Best of a P and a J bass?

This one is catching my eye too...

Attached Files:

12. bspot

bspot

Sep 9, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    That's the exact one that I have. And LOVE it. Its more beautiful in person than it is on the website.

13. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    They are very nice 5 strings and not just for the money. I've had five of the Jazz 5s and I've got onother one coming next week. They have a more narrow string spacing than Lakland and Fender but if you don't mind that they play and sound great. For playing out live I like the SX 5s as much as the Skyline Joe Osborn 5 or the 04 Fender Deluxe Jazz 5 I had. I haven't played the P bass style like you are looking at but I'm sure it would be a great first fiver.

14. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Few things...I've owned several SXs now and I found that the 4s are more consistently built than the 5s. I can't tell you why. I just know that the last SX 5 I bought, the 5 of the frets were literally beat in with a metal hammer, leaving dented frets under strings. There was an unusual amount of dirt and crap under the finish. I've come to expect a bit of crap under the finish from them, but this was over the top. I found the string spacing to be uncomfortably tight too. The tuners were horrible.

On positive note, I love my SJB-75 4 string and wouldn't give it up for anything. Give it the 5 a try, but look out for the quality.

15. Here ya go

16. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    The jazz style or the p style?

17. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    nice review! i love the sound. i dont know why he would want some actives in it, it sounds smooth and jazzy the way i like it. you could even pump out some solid rock bass lines with that thing.