1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thinking between the two compressors :)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johans, Aug 8, 2007.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hi guys,

so .. i am looking to try out some compressors for my bass. i do not need a very high-end one and i just need a decent one to clean up on my playing so .. come to the arena are the two contenders ..

- ebs multicomp
    - toadworks mr. squishy

both seems to have great reviews, lots of users and since there's quite some differences in their price, i would like also to learn more about fellow TB'ers experience with one of them, if not both =)

thanks!
    :smug:

2. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    check out bongo's reviews if you haven't yet, he has both of those and about 80 other compressors all reviewed

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Based on your needs, I'd say the EBS Multicomp is the perfect choice of the two you mentioned. I use one myself for clean, mild compression.

The Mr. Squishy would be considered more of an "effect-type" compressor, where "squish" is more often the goal instead of mild, simpler compression.

SEV is on the ball - definitely check out bongomania's reviews. He's reviewed both of those, as well as many others!

4. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    yeah :)

i am actually his reviews right now :) just want to get live experience from fellow users ..

honestly .. probably like many others, i am not sure if i understand compressor completely, tried several times with my guitarists' effect and didn't get too far :) .. also tried with my soundguy's rack dbx compressor before and it ended up cutting and 'muting' lots of my high dynamic notes .. okay :) i am reading on.. :bassist:

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just wanted to emphasize that the Mr. Squishy is capable of being clean and transparent, more so than most other "Orange Squeezer" variations; it is not so "squishy" at some settings. My memory (not always reliable ;) ) tells me the EBS had lower noise, but the Mr. Squishy had clearer highs.

6. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hey! :smug:

just a side qn, .. i am using ampeg svt4-pro and there's a built in compression knob on the unit and when i tried it .. it doesnt seems to sound anything 'compressed' or different .. was it just me that didn't dial it right or .. :|

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sometimes those built-in compressors are crap. Sometimes they are good, but subtle. Sometimes they are set up more as a "limiter", where it will not affect your signal except to cap off the sharpest peaks. Sometimes a really good compressor is impossible to "hear working".

8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Demeter Opto-Comp!!!