Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking bout an ASAT on Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, actually, that's not something to be really leery about. Those are hard to fake/front. Checks can bounce and credit cards can be fake, stolen, etc, and that much cash going through the postal system can be a little iffy.

They're pretty safe ways to deal, actually. But that's me. If you're not comfortable with something, don't do it.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks, Brendan. I am not that experienced with Ebay.

Any thoughts on the bass itself? It looks purty. I have read that ASAT's have great tonal range.

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    all i accept any more are cashiere's check or money orders.

paypal SUX...for me at least.

f

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    As someone who spends 1/3 of his time playing bass, 1/3 on TB, and the other 1/3 on eBay, I hope I can help a little. :smug:

As Brendan said, the first rule is that if you don't feel comfortable, don't do it. With that said, here's my opinion: If I were in the market for this bass, I wouldn't have a problem buying from this guy. The coolest thing about eBay is the feedback system. This guy has a lot of positive feedback (about 295) from both buyers and sellers, with no negative feedback in the past year. That's pretty darn good for eBay standards. He looks pretty legit to me. As to the reason why he only accepts certain types of payment, it's already been said. Identity theft is bigger than ever these days and less and less people are accepting credit cards, and even less people want to deal with checks.

As for the bass, it does look amazing. Don't worry about me; I'm a righty. :) It's one of the many basses on my GAS list, along with every other Leo Fender-designed bass. I don't know what the going price for these are, but if you can get this for a good price, I say go for it.

I hope this helped.

6. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    $1300 new.

if you're a lefty...GO FOR IT!

she's sweet!

f

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    That's getting close to top dollar on a used G&L- maybe worth a little more than usual since it's a lefty, I'm not sure. I wouldn't bid too much higher though; don't get caught in a war over it at the end.

I love my ASAT, but it cost me substantially less than that starting bid.

8. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    ahh, listen to Xushy...he's da man!

f