1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking bout new Genz-Benz rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MTBassMania, Mar 21, 2013.

1. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    So I'm trying to update my gear to stuff more pro-level, instead of what I've been using to jam with buddies in garages and such.

Originally, I wanted to get a Genz-Benz ShuttleMAX 12.2 and two UB410s for this crazy set-up idea I had. But I was quickly educated that this would not work, and fry my set-up (essentiallly, I wanted to plug my laptop right into the cabs. Durp). Since that got canned, I'm questioning if I want to get a 12.2, or just a 9.2.

I definitely want to a get a UB410 cab and one of those amps. I like the tone controls, solid-state or tube channels, and the Aux-In. I have a Moog Minitaur I plan on running into that Aux-In (I'll only be playing one instrument at a time, not both at once). And I can only afford one cab and an amp, at the moment (or rather, near future...).

What I'm concerned about is expandability. Is 900 watts and a 410 enough? I tend to think it is. But then I think of how frustrated I get when I play with a guitarists whose only musical virtue is that he plays louder than (and often on-top of) everyone. If I went for the 12.2, it would leave me room to add another cab (either a UB212, or another 410 stacked on top). Thoughts on mixing a 212 with a 410? Another thing to consider is that I want to use the Minitaur to come in with some sustained room shaking, panty loosening bass. Think a 410 can handle that?

But then, maybe I'm getting waaayy ahead of myself. I'm not even in a band yet. Just got people I like to jam with and keep telling them we should try and get some gigs, but no one really wants to. I've been passed over twice by bands that just made the worst guitarist play bass. Neither because of how I play, just simply because the one guy is a buddy. Ain't it a pain being a bassist in a guitarist's world?

2. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    I am currently rent-to-owning a Shuttle 9.2 and a NX2-212T cab and absolutely love them. It is WAY more power than I need and has huge room to grow.

I am positive I am going to purchase the 9.2 and just had the shop order in a UB410 (4 ohm version) which I plan on testing out next week, then will decide which one to keep.

I spent about 4 hours yesterday really playing with the dials, and although there are less than on the Max version, it provides huge flexibility and I am extremely happy with it.

I suspect I am going to prefer the UB410 over the NX2-212T as I've moved toward a tighter/hifi sound and think that'll work better for me.

Just some random thoughts for ya. Will reply again when I've had time to play with the 410.

Luke

3. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Oh - I missed what I originally meant to post.

Do any of your local shops have any rent-to-own plans? If you do your research and choose carefully this can be an excellent way to go. For example, here we pay 10% of new price, per month as a rental fee. Then that gets applied to the final purchase. So in my case I'm doing the rent to own on everything and it has allowed me to confirm that I want the 9.2 but also gave me the opportunity that I am not totally sold on the 212 without having spent the $900 to buy it. Yes, if I have to return it and and go another route it may cost me $90, but I got to use for an entire month. One gig and that's paid for.

Luke

4. 2manynotes

2manynotes

Jun 22, 2012
    I use a GB Shuttlemax 9.2 and a Carvin BRX 10.4 cabinet (4 ohms).

Unless you are playing in arenas, that's plenty. It might even be enough for an arena.

BTW, you will need a 4 ohm cabinet to get 900 watts out of that amp. If you do go with two cabinets, they will need to be 8 ohms each to get max power.

If the UB410 is 8 ohm, and you use it alone, you will get 500 watts from the 9.2.

5. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Yea, good point, the UB410 comes in either 4ohm or 8ohm versions. Will make a fairly significant difference.

6. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I could be wrong here, but I'm fairly sure the Uber410 is only available in 4 ohms these days...I think anyway :)

7. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    I was going with the 4 Ohm. I suppose I need to read what kind of difference Ohms make on the sound. I just know lower tends to mean more watts. Not very amp educated.

8. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I probably did at least 100 shows with a ShuttleMax 12.0, Uber410 and Uber212. I'm not pretending to be the final word or anything silly like that, but I do have a fair amount of experience on these cabs.

Within a month at the latest, I regretted buying that combination...I think both cabs sound pretty darn good on their own, but I personally thought they weren't so hot together...never could dial in what I wanted completely.

These days, though I use greenboy cabs, I still have two Genz amps and still like them very much. I have my old 12.0 that I use with a poweramp for outdoors and stuff, but mainly use a ShuttleMax 9.2. Fantastic amplifier!

If I were gonna go back to Genz cabs, it would be two Uber115's, or two NeoX212's, vertically stacked of course :)

9. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    I thought so too - but I asked the sales person at my shop and he said they can get both the 8 and 4 ... so who knows

10. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Did they have other GB heads/cabs at your local store to try? Wondered if you were able to try a Streamliner 900? Or the regular NeoX 212T? I was also very impressed with the GB 410 XB-3 cab I played thru last fall at my local store. Sure its heavier but man, great tone. I also tried the UBER212 and 410 they had in stock; just wasn't impressed enough to choose one over my NeoX 212T cabs. And I was trying to get away from the weight thing so no XB-3; but again I really dug it that day.

I already owned two NeoX 212T's I was runing either cab with a Markbass LMII or F1. Nice. Then I bought a new Streamliner 900; Very Nice. That head and one 212T or my TB153 was my giggin rig all last summer. Indoors and Outdoors, no PA support. Used a P5 or Jazz 5 w/Chromes or modded MTD KZ5 in a TX blues-rock/R&B band. And I just bought a new Shuttle 9.2 last week so I need to go see if they have the NX-2 cab in stock to try this head into that new cab. :)

Cool that you're still renting to try before you buy. :meh: I don't have that choice with new gear around here. Carry on.

11. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    The website shows the Uber 410 to be 4 ohms only...

12. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    I can't do anything like that either. My "local" (and only) music store is 50+ miles away, and they have what they have. If there's anything I'm interested in, they'll order it for me, but I have to buy it up front. If I don't like it, at best they'll "buy" it back and give me store credit. :meh:

13. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Yeah I am really lucky that the local shops will do that. I don't mind renting a rig for a month to determine I don't like it.

They have the Streamliner 900 however I have not tried it with either my cab (NX2-212T) or the UB410 they have. I was considering trying it out, but realistically I am so happy with the 9.2 that I don't really wanna throw another screw in things. Doesn't hurt though I guess, so maybe I will.

No one has any of the NeoX cabs around here unfortunately - I read a lot of great things about them, which is why I went for the new model. I do love it though.

We are now starting to plan a US/Eastern Canada tour, so I need to get this sorted out soon. I suspect I'll be sticking with what I have now, but am anxious to take the UB410 to my gig on Wednesday.