1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking Guitar Duo.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SteveC, Oct 3, 2009.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    So I am feeling like I am going to be asked to leave my current projects. I was killing time at a local music store today and was playing a nice Taylor 214CE guitar and thought geez, I wish I had a reason to have this.

So I sent an email to the guitar/singer of one of my current bands - which may be no longer - and suggested half joking we do a duo thing. He wrote back right away that he was curious. I think it would be cool - kind of a Shaw Blades, Simon & Garfunkel, Dave & Tim thing.

Of course this happens after I get a sweet Sadowsky bass and order an extension cab for my combo. I'm not the greatest singer or guitar player, but the thought of doing something completely different is very interesting to me. I may have to talk to the guy more seriously about this.

Any thoughts? Anyone else leave their bass for a guitar once in a while?

2. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Music related?

3. Hi.

I gig nearly as much with acoustic as I do with bass.

Granted, either ain't much ;).

I do however play acoustic tunes on my own a lot more than I play on a bass, the same goes for rehearsing. I find it a bit difficult to pick up a tune that I sing with a bass first, I rehearse 'em with acoustic most of the time, picking up the bass only when I get the vocals nailed.

Try it, I'm almost 100% You'll like it.

Regards
    Sam

4. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    Not so much leave it as add to it. I started out as a bass player, intentionally - meaning I really wanted to play bass first and foremost and didn't have much interest in guitar at the time besides listening to guitar players who were good at it

Maybe 5-6 years later, I started playing acoustic guitar mostly as a writing aid. Being able to produce chords more complex than 2 (or at the most 3) notes is pretty much essential if you're going to move towards harmony that goes beyond root, 3rd, 5th

At this point, I've been doing both for more than 30 years. As a bass player, it helps a lot when you can show a guitar player exactly what you're talking about when something specific is required for a certain tune

FWIW the vast majority of stuff I've written over the years was originally put together on guitar....

Ultimately, the two compliment each other. It's not an either/or proposition

5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Not sure I understand the question?

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sounds good to me. Not my style of music, but it looks like a good way to expand your skillset which is always a good thing, no?

7. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    This is true.