Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking Ibanez please don't flame me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Sep 8, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I play in an electronic rock band could be classed as space rock, I've done a search can't really find the answers I'm looking for, but any way on to the questions.

Does any one have any experiance with the eda, sr5, sr6 and btb's? (SR3005, 3006, anything with a mono bridge)

I'm only asking about the eda's because of the piezo's I'm wondering if its any good?

How stable are the necks because there arn't any decent guitar shops here so it has to be hard weaing cos it will be my touring bass?

Can I see some pics please?

Do they record well?

Any models to avoid due to bad quality or something?

Whats the average inshop price of the sr3006?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The SR Prestige models have a 5 piece neck with wenge and bubinga(I think, not sure about the bubinga) laminates. You shouldn't be worried about stability.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    the sr3006 i played sounded great, granted, someone had put barts in it...and yeah, it's a bubinga wenge neck. go to the ibanez website...they have pics.

4. The newer high-end Ibanez's all have Bartolini pickups, and the BTBs have a Bartolini preamp as well. I have played one of the Prestige soundgears, and it really felt pretty good, but I like the BTB's better. Really like the neck on those, and the 500 series and higher have 5 piece necks, which should be pretty stable. Don't know much about the EDAs, but if you go with the high end BTB you won't be dissapointed! (IMO)

jtbp

5. Hola Tayste,..

How many strings do you need?
    I've played some lower end SR's (5 & 6) and the B was kind of weak but they were both used.. so maybe the strings and height had something to do on it. I can only say the BTB's have great low B's but the necks, at least on the 400 models, are a bit too thick..

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I don't normally go below D so I guess I could tune up or down or something.
    I need the high c though the band whats me to do some baritone guitar stuff for choruses and stuff but they want it done on the bass.
    I could get a fiver and restring it to have high c in stead of low B.
    But I think all in all a 6 would be the best option.
    Don't some of the models have a d tuner?

Thanks for all the feedback guys this is great.

7. A friend of mine has an EDA. It plays pretty nice, but I can't cope with the sound (too much top for me, but then I do play a Burns w/ flatwounds!). It would be pretty good in your kind of band though - it even looks the part!

I suspect the BTBs and SRs are a bit better though....

Edit: The Piezo in the EDA is pretty cool (you get to adjust it to taste with trimpots in the control cavity!) but doesn't sound different enough to a magnetic pickup to warrant buying the bass for this reason alone. However, my friend has not yet fiddled with those trimpots so perhaps you can change it a bit.

8. My backup is an EDA 900. It doesn't get much air time now that I've got a Cirrus, but its still a solid instrument. I can dial about any tone I want with the combination of piezo in the bridge and the humbucker in the neck. Stays in tune, fast neck, sounds good, easy to play, unique look.

But... now that I've been playing my Cirrus 5 for the last couple of months, the EDA just doesn't compare. To me, the sound is a bit thinner than I like and more trebly/punchy. This may not be a bad thing. The EDA works perfectly on this little funk/disco tune we do for fun. Really good for slap and pop.

I just saw a five string fretless version at the music store and thought it looked pretty hot. If it is still there when I go for my lesson on Thursday, I'm going to plug it in and see how it sounds.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, the fishman system sounds really great in the eda, but having heard rmc piezos, well, they take second fiddle...the sr3000 (4 string) comes with a detuner...i still like the sr3006 better. the only thing i found uncomfortable on that bass was the string spacing, but the eda (which only comes as a 4 and a 5 string) has really comfy spacing.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well are the BTB's just as good or better than the sr3005 or 6? Because they have a wider string
    spaceing but with me playing alot of repeatative riffs a small spacing might be a good idea.
    How much does the sr3006 go for in most shops in the states?

Thanks in advance.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Me like EDB And EDC. but if five is the way, then get a BTB 5er, if you like wider spacing.

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've seen the sr3006 go anywhere from 700 bucks used to about 1200 new...the btb's sound great, but i think they're pretty ugly looking...and they're so big...like a big ol' boat paddle, but i'm only 4 feet tall, so take that with a grain of salt.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    WOW I've just seen the price of the BTB406QMTK on www.musiciansfriend.com there so cheap and have all the features I want. Is there a reason why there so cheap?
    Any one know whats in the necks on this model?
    Would I be able to put straploks on these basses I mean is the upper horn strong enough and solid and all that?

Thanks in advance.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd like to have a Gary Willis fretted model. Don't know why....

15. Maybe Bart pups? Cool gotoh tuners? Gary Willis Signature over the headstock?... i like that!

EBP

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would hope that you would be able to install straploks on any bass...i'm quite sure that the 406 (which i'm pretty sure also comes with a detuner) could take the stress of the screw that's already there for a strap button ;) as for why it's cheaper? inferior woods and construction processes to the higher priced models...and different pickups/electronics...but that doesn't mean the 406 doesn't sound good.

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I found out the neck is a five piece maple and walnut neck is this going to be stable?

Thanks for all the help neptoon.

When I said is it going to be strong enough I meant if I jump around will the upper horn snap off instead of the strap falling off.

18. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    5 piece neck is good. And that walnut will help even more.

19. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

:eek:
    well, i'm sure if you don't bang the mud out of it, it should be fine... ;) i'm sure you can't jump THAT high, so i wouldn't worry about it.

20. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I tried an EDA905 recently, and the neck was huge! Good thing or a bad thing, of course. The EDC has a really good equalizer, but the neck is thin. And IMO it looks better.

The EDA kicks ass for slapping though, and it has an awesome tone. Soundgears are 34' I think, get a BTB for 5 or 6 string.