Thinking it's high time I went wireless, poll time! FOUR CARROT OPTIONS!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by tedious1, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Digital - Specify please

2. Digital - Carrots

3. UHF - Specify please

4. UHF - Carrots

5. VHF - Seriously? Specify, and why VHF?

6. VHF - Carrots

7. Old fashioned wired Carrots

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    This has to be some kind of record! FOUR CARROTS OPTIONS!

I presume this is the right place, if it ain't move it please, then slap my drummer for my sins...
    EDIT: I think this should be the preferred pre-begging for forgiveness line here, if I've erred, please correct, and slap my drummer for my sins...

For the TL;DR set, plug yer favorite wireless...or wireless carrot protocol, or wired carrot...

Anyways, high time I went wireless. My singer is the 'human amphetamine.' When he is on stage (fortunately he tends not to be) he thinks he's my clothing... So, we're going to take away the chance he can pull a cable on the way in or out, but, we still may have to consider the whole trying to be clothing thing. And it's got to be pretty tough, I'm not hard on my equipment, but my genre can be from time to time...I have been soaked in beer, whiskey, whisky. And literally coated in fake cheese; aerosol and processed slice style...someone, probably my singer, *WILL* try to pickle my transmitter, while I'm wearing it!

So punk is the genre, I can be moderately active, I tend not to go too overboard, with a singer like that, you're just asking to be the fly squashed by the Buick...

Small to medium venues, mostly small, occasionally medium size stages, rarely play outside/large stages, the outside thing may change, large size, other than outside...prolly not so much.

I am emphatically not looking to break the bank here, I'm looking for a reliable system that is going to work in Canadian/U.S. venues largely. Reliably is the watchword, so I'm kind of already tending to dismiss the Line 6 low end systems, G10 and G30, but if you think I might be wrong to do so, please pipe up! I'll still think you're crazy, but I'll read it anyways!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Your singer is trying to be your clothes?

Have him pay for the wireless.

Drop him with a leg kick, Muay Thai style. Stay away from me!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Do you run a pedal board? Do you want this to wind up on your board or rack mount?

4. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    I'm actually completely flexible on that score. Rack works fine, I don't currently have a pedal board, but that's likely to change in the near term. Really the receiver form factor is the least of my concerns, I can deal with pedal, rack, 1/2 rack or desktop. Preference would be pedal or full rack though.

I originally started looking at the cheapies, Line 6 G10 and G30 mostly, but the G10 I've heard can give you trouble with it's little mini switch (and it's totally pointless for me, when I was running actives I never killed batteries by forgetting to unplug, so I don't need a wireless that shuts itself off either, I'll do that when the set is over) and the G30 with the battery door on the transmitter, that kind of stuff, deal-breaker. I'm not completely convinced by the pigtail setup of the G10 and Joyo systems either, I'm more inclined to look at a traditional body pack instead.

He's got tremendous stage presence, I really don't care if he wants a piggyback part way through the set, the crowd loves it, and I can play through most of his shenanigans. But, the cabling, not so much, it's happened like twice in the 20 years we've been playing, that he's kicked a cable loose from something, and last time it was my tuner on a separate out, so no harm, no foul, but I was pretty sure my tuner was screwed at the next tuning break, which got elongated because I had to snag the drummers spare tuner. Yes you read correctly, my drummer carries a spare clip-on tuner, along with guitar and bass strings, only right and proper since I pack a spare drum key and a pair of his preferred sticks in my spares.

As far as getting him to pay for wireless, he does need a wireless mic, he likes to sing from the pit, and right now, he's bringing his own 58 and cable to reduce the pucker factor for the SRE. If we can cut that tether, I can probably stop having the recurring nightmare where he ends up hanging some kid from the rafters with his mic cord...

two fingers likes this.
  5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I upgraded my (7-yr) old rack mount L6 G90 last year - after much research - to a Sennheiser D1.
    Auto-sensing digital (2.4Ghz) unit, rack mountable with small body pak. LOVE it.
    Had TWO other L6 units on stage and no interference or dropouts.. Power up and go. SIMPLE!

tedious1 likes this.
  6. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Thanks for letting me benefit from your research as well!

D1 is definitely on the radar, the clerk at the local loves it too.

s0c9 likes this.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'm digging my line 6 G75, robust pack, super-fast 1.5ms latency and regular 1/4" cables instead of those little specialty plugs that always break.

got bandmates with the shure GLX-D16, that's becoming an industry standard "bar band wireless".

if you're thinking under like $500 then you want digital to avoid tone loss from cheap analog.

tedious1 likes this.
  8. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I love my Line 6 G70. Easy to use / setup. Doesn't kill my tone. Can handle high output active Basses well as well as passive.

Reasonable cost and uses just 1/4 " cable no special cables to lose/ break. Pretty good battery life.
    Good Built in tuner ( although I still prefer my korg pitchblack ) and DI

Marley's Ghost and tedious1 like this.
  9. BassPilot

BassPilot Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2016
    California
    +1 for the Shure GLX-D. I got one almost a year ago and I use it at home and gigs. Rehearsals I just go wired as I'm not moving around - but I constantly notice I'm using a cord when I'm not on the wireless. Once you experience the freedom of wireless, you'll find that going wired is taxing.
    It has been 100% reliable, battery life is as stated in the literature (15+ hours) and charges really fast and the tuner (I use it in strobe mode) is excellent. All in all a great system!

marmadaddy, Basstards, s0c9 and 2 others like this.
  10. I love the Shure GLX-D. Great signal, great bodypack (rechargeable w/ USB) that last a long time, tuner, metal chassis.

So pretty much exactly what @BassPilot just said.

Scottkarch and tedious1 like this.
  11. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    As far as format goes, the poll agrees with you, digital all the way...

And latency has become a key consideration, at some point I'll be looking at IEM, so may as well start worrying about latency now, no?

So looking at latency the Line 6 G70/75 moves to the top of the heap, the Sennheiser and Shure units are both coming in at 4ms, I know 2.5 is trivial but it's also in the median of the range for latency figures folk like to bandy about for digital mixers and IEM transmission systems. So that's essentially dropping an entire node from the chain right there...

I've got a little more research to do, but thanks all for your help!

12. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I’ve had real good luck with my Audio-Technica System 10 digital system. Around $3 bills street.

Gluvhand and tedious1 like this.
  13. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Interesting, the price is certainly compelling, the latency is better than the Shure and Sennheiser systems, not by much, but better...Definitely worth consideration and more research, thanks!

14. I have one too since more than a year and 100% satisfied so far.
    There are two different versions: same bodypack, but the 10 ATW-1501 has a stompbox receiver instead of the receiver that looks like your typical Wlan-Router.

tedious1 likes this.
  15. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Line 6 G10. Very easy to use, I've had mine for about a year and it works well for me. The unit plugs into the bass, so there is no body pack or batteries to worry about. I've been very happy with mine.

tedious1 likes this.
  16. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Spotted that, and the pedal-style receiver is cheaper too.

17. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Better than 4ms? Heck, you can't "hear" 4ms now.... Let's stick to reality guys.
    Most can't hear 10ms either.. 4ms is excellent.

I've been FULLY wireless for about 4 yrs.. currently with a Senn D1 unit inbound and Senn G3 IEM.
    Zero noticeable latency, and I've done about 320 gigs during those 4 yrs.
    Just saying..

18. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    5.5 Absolute latency | 5) Sampling issues | Audio Quality in Networked Systems | Self Training | Training & Support | Yamaha

table 503: average monitor system’s absolute latency perception by musicians (Pianist, Vocalist, Guitarist)

signal path latency for in-ear monitor systems for in-ear monitor systems
    1.15 - 2 ms
    Playable without any big problem. Playable.
    2 - 5 ms Playable, however tone colour is changed. Playable.
    5 - 10 ms Playing starts to become difficult. Latency is noticeable. Playable. Although latency is noticeable, it is perceived as ambience.
    >10 ms Impossible to play, the delay is too obvious. Impossible to play, the delay is too obvious.

walterw likes this.
  19. I have a System 10 also. Stomp box version. Have had it about a year. Plenty of gigs, no issues. I got mine for well under $300. Think it was under $200. Sweetwater had it on sale and Audio-Technica had a rebate going.

tedious1 likes this.
  20. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    this is about in-ears, which is why 2.4GHz in-ear systems don't seem to really be a thing, but latency adds, so the little from your wireless adds on top of the little that digital mixers also have, and that would add to what a theoretical digital IEM system would have too.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021