Thinking of a SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Any opinions on these guys. I know some may feel that the REALDEAL Stingray is the way to go but I'm not to concerned with looks and wood type. I'm after tone and playability along with quality build. The price is the driving force.
  2. If price is your driving force, hop on Ebay and snipe out a 'Ray auction.
  3. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The SUB is a great bass, but Im not sure what the post is about? Do you want me to recommend an SUB? (which I'll do) or talk you into a 'Ray? (lets just say Im getting mine tomorrow :D)
  4. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

My favorite SUB is a hot roast beef and melted mozzarella on toasted garlic bread. Second favorite is a pastrami and cornbeef on rye with Russian dressing and cole slaw in the sandwich. Mmm... It's times like these that I miss New York.
  5. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    The great thing about the SUBs is that they're still made in USA. They really are great basses. If it wasn't for the satin finished neck, I don't think i'd be able to tell the SUB from a true Ray in a blind test.
  6. jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    SUBs are great. I've had mine for a year, done many gigs and rehearsals, play it all the time at home. I've tried 'Rays, Bongos, Sterlings, and honestly can't see paying twice as much as a SUB. People whine about the textured finish on the neck but I found it to wear to fairly glossy surface in a month or two.
  7. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    you are the subs target market....the reason it exists.
  8. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    They're great basses. They feel like the real deal. Like everyone said- the only dif. is the neck. And honestly you'll get used to it very fast. I bought one as my first "high end" bass (granted i went from squire to this- i thought i was owning the world here). But, they are great instruments for the money. You can pick them up real cheap used. And if you want more "rayish" you can just get new pups like some Lane Poors or Nordstrands.

9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1, id get the SUB. Id try to find an active one.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Another difference is the uncountoured body. Also i dont see how getting lane poors or nordstrands would help you get more Rayish, the only thing that would do that is to put all ray electronics in it. , which technically are already in it ,if you get the active one
  11. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm looking into a SUB as well - kind of disappointed I can't search for em here because its too short of a queue.

Anyways, this is going to be a stupid question, but is the difference between active/passive that drastic if there is a bass trim?
  12. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
  13. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Just because it says it is made in the USA doesn't mean that everything is made in the USA. The parts could be made somewhere else and assembled in the USA. Anyone want to clarify where the SUB parts are made?
  14. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    A lot of things are "made in the usa" with imported parts, it would blow your mind if you only knew how much really is . ;)

The SUB is a good bass, stay away from OLP, I learned the hard way. The prices are to close to even think about it.
  15. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I meant as in EQ - boost/trim on actives, but on passive theres only trim.

Bah, my pastor got me started on that when he called the gain the trim...I was like wha?
  16. So, If I was looking for the Stingray tone without the Stingray price, looks and body comfort, The SUB does it. Right? And the neck is debatable. As far as feel. Does it have the same dimentions?
  17. jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Getting people to quote on tone, for my money, is not a real smart thing. I think you'd be much better off to go into a shop that has both instruments, get them to set up a decent amp, get the speaker box to the level of your face so you can hear it properly, then try them both out with the same eq settings on the amp. That way you'll get the best idea.

I bought a passive SUB, not because I was interested in a Stingray tone, but in a tone that I really like. The passive SUB sounds 'similar' to a 'Ray, but not exactly the same. It's much closer to a 'Ray than, say, a P-Bass.

I believe they have the same neck dimensions as the 'Ray. Check the Ernie Ball web-site

18. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I own a custom SUB 5 , great bass, nice tone (real low and funky) , slapping tone is great, very much like a stingray, its worth trying one out!