1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of adding an Acme Low B-2W. Ohms decision

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I was thinking of adding an Acme Low B-2W underneath my Avatar Neo 410 and Carvin BX1200. I need more low end to compete w loud gui****s and drummer. Just unsure of 4 or 8 ohms. If I go 8, I can put 1200 watts into both cabs bridged. But it will not work as well in a bi-amp configuration. Your vote?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

3. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, that's another thought. But that might piss off the others in my band as being too "over the top" :rollno: As it is, I get blamed almost every time we are "too loud" :scowl: The 2 412's never seem to be a problem tho. :help:

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    What ohm is your 410? 8?

5. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

6. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

I don't know the sensitivity rating of your Avatar, but I assume that it is much more efficient than the Acme (rated at 93db 1W/1M).

If they are both 8Ω, and you run your amp bridged (600w per cab)
    I suspect that you won't hear the Acme over the Avatar.

If the Acme is 4Ω, and you run bi-amped, your rig will supply 275w to the Avatar, and 400w to the Acme. This will help some, plus you will have control over each cab separately... which I suspect you will need.

If you are sold on an Acme, I think I'd go 4Ω.
    Otherwise, a well designed 15" might just work better for you.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I agree with Thangfish. It rarely makes sense to pair a relatively high-sensitivity cab with a very low-sensitivity cab - for all the reasons he just mentioned... :meh:

I guess I still can't understand the problem with adding an Avatar 2x12 for added low end, SPL, fullness and presence...as long as you've got reasonable control of your master volume knob. Just because you'll be capable of overwhelming everyone with over-the-top volume levels, doesn't mean you have to... :eyebrow:

MM

8. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I agree. I have been trying to explain the concept of headroom to my bandmates for the past 8 months without much success. It also scares some club owners and soundmen when the bass player shows up with a large rig. I will have to think this over some more. :meh:

9. I agree with Thangfish's comments, but I'm a much bigger fan of the Acme than Avatar.

Sell the Avatar and get two 8-ohm Acme Low B-2s. The BX1200 puts out 1200 watts bridged at 4 ohms which, IMO, is about perfect for a pair of Low-B2s. And Acme speaker cabs usually sound very good with Carvin heads.

Good luck !

Bluesy Soul :cool:

10. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

I've got no problem with those statements! ;)

IMG_2514CarvinB1500AcmeB2x4400x7-1.

There IS a Carvin way up there. :D

11. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    :eek::eek:

Nice!

12. As an Acme fan I'll endorse Thangfishs' statement. I've got four too!!!:)

Paul