1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of adopting a child through one of those doller a day type things

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vacume, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    my freind told me there are alot of bad ones who scam u/dont use the money properly, can u guys recomend thats in lack of a better word, good?

2. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    good thread, i've been wanting to do this too, but haven't seen any of the commercials on tv about it lately. and i've always been pretty weary of that childrens christians fund. i have no reason to believe they are cheats but i'm just a skeptical person

pat

3. do you have world vision in america? thats who id go through.

4. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Here's a link to the website of a group that evaluates charitable organizations. This link happens to be a direct path to the group's analysis of World Vision’s operations.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/bay/search.summary/orgid/4768.htm

In addition to World Vision, and organization called Save the Children has rated highly in its evaluation.

Here's a link to information on child sponsorship through them (at less than $1 a day):

http://www.savethechildren.org/sponsorship/index.asp

5. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I actually got the chance to go to Africa this summer with this wonderful organization called Causa Canada. They just started their child sponsorship program and that have 3 schools right now, in total more than 600 children need sponsors.

http://www.causekids.ca/

Different organzations spend their money different. I know Cause Canada will pool the sponsorship money together and let the community decide what they think they need most. Some organization will give the sponsored child all the benefits while the community does not get any.

Check it out. It's a small company with a few million dollor budget but they are commited to their cause. They spend almost nothing on the admin and almost everything on the programs.

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1 You'd have to really check into one of these charities first!

7. Matt Fat Cat

Matt Fat Cat

Jul 5, 2006
    I would like to adopt.

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I donate to Mercy Corps. You don't get all of the personal stuff from "adopting" children, but over 90% of what you give ends up in people's hands (low administrative costs), and they help out people all over the world. They're extremely conscious about not wasting resources. They're also often the ones that get to people in disaster areas or war zones first. Good charity, IMHO.

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    +1

For $1 a day I expect to have full ownership of the child.

10. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    My father-in-law used to work for the Christians Childrens Fund and I can vouch for them. The money goes almost entirely to the children.

You can even specify where the money goes (books, mosquito nets, school supplies, fabrics for clothes) they give you a list of needs you can choose to fill. You will also get letters from the childs parents thanking you for your help.

All in all it's a very honest orginization.

labgnat, you are correct to be wary, there are a lot of fake charities out there that use the guise of helping people to fill thier pockets first and whatever is left goes to the needy. I just wanted to give a shout out to the CCF as not being one of them.

11. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    try Compassion International?

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I see these things and I just happened to talk about them with a friend last week.

The parents of these children wouldn't spend the money in a proper manner-they often don't have the means. Perhaps they are the cause of the childs problems. The child itself can't spend the money, so it goes into the pocket of an organization. Typical.

I'm happy just visiting Kenya with my school.