1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of becoming a gui****

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by XtheDeadPawn, Apr 27, 2010.

1. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Well the truth is I honestly want to change things up a bit. I always pick one up at a store but, I never could really feel comfortable. I need a wide neck and maybe a longer scale than normal/commercialy avaliable.

However I was poking around Peavey.com and came across this http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/117490/SC™%201%20Black.cfm

Essentially a LP copy however read this (I pulled it straight from their website)

• 24.75" scale
    • 22 Jumbo frets
    • 15 degree headstock pitch
    • Rock Maple neck with Rosewood fingerboard
    • Chrome plated hardware
    • 2 Peavey custom designed humbucking pickups
    • Three- a-side, diecast tuners, keystone buttons
    • 1.69" nut width
    • 2 volume and 2 tone controls
    • D style neck shape
    • 14" fretboard radius
    • 4 bolt neck attachment with steel plate
    • Heavy duty tailpiece and bridge
    • Solid Basswood body with integral center body section
    • Deeply carved top

Now the next question would be do you think a 14" radius neck is wide?

And what bass do you know has a D profile so I could maybe see if it possibly is the guitar for me.

Also can anyone here recommend a WIDE neck guitar I feel like most are just toothpicks. HELP PLZ

2. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    If you're looking for a wide neck, the dimension you want to focus on is the nut width.

The fretboard radius dimension is just going to tell you the 'arch' of the fretboard (i.e. how rounded or how flat).

Just a little food for thought. I don't have any recommendations on what guitars to try, however.

Unless you're thinking of an acoustic - lots of the classical-style guitars have really deep, really wide necks.

3. Have you thought of seeking counseling?

4. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    So how wide is wide for a guitar neck?

5. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    gui****efecter
    I'm not quiting bass I'm just broadening my musicial instrument horizions.

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Have you considered playing a bass guitar?

Here's Henk Bruysten playing his roundwound-strung Fender VI on both: the lead and bass tracks...

Hank the Knife & the Jets - Tenderfoot

7. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I actually thought of taking a regular bolt on guitar and stripping the neck and getting a warmoth bass neck to put on top of it. Then drill six holes so I could just use light guage bass strings since guitar strings too me are ungodly thin but, would that work?

8. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
  9. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    What about Rondo don't they have a Fender Bass 6 copy or something?

10. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    They had three different 30" models. You can find info on them in that thread.

Rondo also sells a range of 30" 8 string instruments as well as 6 and 7 string A - a or B - b baritones. They're in the guitar section on Rondo's site.

11. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Okay as far as 7 and 8 strings go is there anyway i could mod them to sixers without making the pickups uneven sounding? I know I could just take out the tuner and string it up but, would that hurt the guitar in anyway as far as tension goes?

12. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    That would be needlessly expensive.

Rondo currently offers this two humbucking pickup-equipped 30" instrument:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/argustoaskbk.html

A # of folks in the aforementioned thread have bought these. You can quiz them for their impressions.

Rondo also used to offer a two humbucking p/u-equipped semi-acoustic 30"-er, and a three single-coil p/u-equipped 30" model which is closer to being a Fender VI.

Info on & pics of all three 30" Rondo 'VI's are in that thread.

You can e-mail Kurt at Rondo as to their future availability.

BTW. 30" Bass VI-type instruments can be strung as bass guitars or baritones.

13. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Have a look at an Agile 7 string. On Rondo Music I think. I tried a friend's and it feels as comfy as my 5 string bass.

14. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Sweet I'll check. Still all I can think of is this: could i use my bass amp for the 7 string guitar?

I'm sorta lost on what to get and what not to get in the guitar amp world Marshall has some good stuff I'm told but, I tried one and it sounded tinny I think it was their lower end model I know it was a combo any suggestions on what to look for amp wise?

EDITED: I think I'll get a Line 6.

15. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Also something to consider is the 'superwide' necks from Warmoth. They're 1-7/8" wide at the nut - the same width as the Agile 7 stringers from Rondo. You could order one of those and slap it on any body w/ a standard fender neck pocket.

16. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    They seem expensive too me I don't even know if I'll stick with it. I just want a guitar with a wide neck to just noodle around on.

17. The Brian May guitars (around $800 I think) have a 1.77-inch width at the nut. But they are 24-inch scale, same as a Fender Jaguar. Which for me adds up to an extremely comfortable neck. But most guitars are either 24.75-inch scale (Gibsons etc.) or 25.5-inch scale (Fenders, etc.)

I love guitars with very wide necks. Which is weird because I love basses with relatively narrow necks.

18. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    I've owned a Tele and a steel string acoustic, but the only guitars I've ever felt comfortable on were the classical / flamenco style guitars with the wide string spacing and nylon strings.

19. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Some of the MIM Telecasters that I've played have quite wide necks. I don't know exactly how wide but I really don't enjoy playing them. I much prefer the MIA Tele neck. I suggest going to a music store and playing a whole bunch of guitars.

20. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I am only looking at humbucker equipped guitars sorry I should have said that from the beginning.