Thinking of building a DarkStar bass - how would it sound (specs inside)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Jul 7, 2008.

1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    All,

I'm thinking of this bass, I won't tell you what sound I have in mind at the beginning, becuase I don't want to affect you feedback. Since we don't have a "soundshop" ssoftware, you're my best resource to cross check my expectations... I won't hold anybody responsible in the end if it doesn't sound like I wanted ! :)

Here the specs:

Jazz Body
    Mahogany body wood
    Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard
    2 Dark star pickups (one in precision sweespot, one closer to bridge)
    Vol/Tone/Vol/Tone controls (or Vol/Vol/Tone)

I'm thinking of keeeping it fully passive but if you think that there could me a preamp that could match it, let me know!

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    It will sound GOOD. I have been enjoying playing a single-cut that Bud LeCompte crafted for me about nine months ago. The mid-range isn't exaggerated on Dark Stars compared to a typically constructed pickup and they are very responsive to your plucking/picking technique. There is no substitute in my book. I too chose mahogany for the body wood. Bud chambers this model to keep the weight down & trap some of that (tone-laden, obviously!) air from Texas inside. :D
    [​IMG]
    This bass is passive with vol/blend/tone controls. Have fun with your build!

3. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Thank you a lot!

Wow, yor bassis beautiful and the specs have some similarities with what I have in mind, any chance you have a mp3 that you can share?

Thank you so much. Paolo

4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    You are welcome. Kudos to Budman, he does excellent work. Sorry, no MP3 to share presently.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Sounds like a great bass, as for a pre, how about an Audere Jazz Plate, supposed to be pretty transparent when set flat, so your getting the bass/pickups natural tone, with adjustability.

6. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I just discovered that lakland is launching the Decade model.... do you think it might be an alternative, probably cheaper, to the project I describe?

7. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021