1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of building a Tele bass from Warmoth...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperSnake2012, Jun 9, 2007.

1. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I got inspiration from Mike Dirnt's live bass and John Entwistle to build a Tele bass :)

[​IMG]

I was pricing out the bass if I built one on Warmoth... was thinking going ash/swamp ash on olympic white, and having the body routed for the split P pickups.

Warmoth sells '51 and '54 body styles... does the '54 have body contours? I'm kind of confused between the two. :p

I love the look of the Tele bass, so I just want one for just playing rock... thinking of using Quarter Pound pickups with it.

2. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    make sure you have a mirror pickguard..

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Well..

I can't talk you out of it. I love my Warmoth. The biggest thing to think about is how to get things done CHEAPLY. Warmoth is not cheap stuff.

Yes you are right, the 51' is a slab. The 54' has contours. Its up to you, but I prefer the 54'

4. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I priced it out, and it came out to be about $950 for all the parts. The body with a finish is about $365 and the neck is $230 with a finish... I could save some money if I bought a different neck but I don't know where else to buy a neck with a Tele headstock.

What about USACG? Are they cheaper/should I look into them instead?

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    nino should be here shortly...

6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I'm curious what about that "My Generation" video inspired you to want a Tele Bass. The Ox is playing a limited edition P-bass made for the UK market, it's only difference froma standard P is the slab body. That must be it.

7. scarekrow

scarekrow

Jan 27, 2007
    I personally love the Tele/Pre! Especially the neck. Speaking of necks - Warmoth makes some of the best. Go for it. I've been wanting to do one in a '51 P 5'er fretless; maybe a Nordstrand Big Single and ... ahw forgitaboutit!

8. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    I know allparts.com do a tele neck but i think it only comes with a maple fretboard. Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm sure it'll be cheaper then warmoth. Not sure about the quality of them though. Good luck though...when I get some pennies I'm gonna be making a warmoth P hopefully.

9. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Well Warmoth necks are pretty sweet. A little heavy with the steel beams, but if you use ultralight tuners (RECOMENDED) and add some weight to the bridge, things should be ok.

Are you going to do a P-bass pickup? what about a bridge pickup?

Nordstrand pickups are the way to go, they are quite awesome.

10. bremen nacht

bremen nacht

Oct 28, 2006
    They made me a beautiful maple P neck. Balances just fine with the walnut body, with BML light tuners (half a pound lighter than P type).

The great-sounding Entwistle bass, the one he used on Live At Leeds, Tommy and Who's Next was a slab with an all-maple neck. From his description of the body I reckon it was ash.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2oeqjt

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's my warmoth '51P5:
    51TeleP_10-1.gif
    51TeleP_4.gif
    51TeleP_5.gif

12. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    +1. I priced out a Tele bass w/'54 body, maple neck and a Dark Star, and it was on the pricey side. On top of that, I'd have to hire somebody to put it together (no skills :oops: ). I'm thinking it'll be cheaper to combine an existing Fender body and Fender neck to end up with a Sting bass w/out the "Stinglay", then get the DS put in. But that's now a down-the-road project.

13. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa

Chef... that's is just plain HOT! I'm not a P fan... but that just gave me GAS :D

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Send me your mailing address, I'll send out some TUMS...

;)

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Chef is METAL. :bassist:

16. realdeal

realdeal Inactive

Dec 10, 2004
    There are some VERY nice Tele-style basses shown on the Warmoth site... Thought about it myself, but then got this beautiful instrument built from G&L---
    Anybody says anything about "neck dive" on these models..
    Seek help!
    It's one of the best playing AND sounding instruments I've ever owned-
    UnREAL!

As to how it looks....
    Well, y'all decide!
    :D

'Deal

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

G&L ASAT are cool but you cant get contours on the semi hollow models. If youa re going the warmoth route I would highly suggest the 54 model.

18. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    If you can do your own finish, you can save a LOT of money building a Warmoth.

19. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
  20. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    USACG WILL be more expensive BUT it's worth it in terms of the neck design.

My best bet would be to use a Warmoth body and A USACG neck - I have done it before and it was the best neck pocket bolt on joint I ever experienced!

here's a run down for a Dirnt/ Ox style slab P with a forearm contour and an all maple neck.

USACG maple neck with Satin finish - $320

Warmoth Slab Ash Oly White P body with forearm contour and A .090 black gloss "51" pickguard, chrome neck plate, electrosocket jack, string retainer, flat top knobs, and tele bass control plate - $453.1

Angela Instruments Fralin P package (comes with pickup, wiring, pots, screws, cap, and jack) - $120

Hipshot vintage chrome bridge and Classic HB3 tuners - approx $140

grand total (without shipping, a nut, and setup factored in)

But for that price you get a bass that stands up to those that are twice the price easily - depending on how you tech gives it the "once over"

USACG is my GO TO company for bass and guitar necks - their quality is unparalleled (you can literally slap the neck right on out of the box, no levelling or extra fretwork needed!)

Plus they are far more accomodating custom options.

Just Ask Nino.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021