1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of buying a bass -- can't decide

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MtroidPrncss, Feb 28, 2008.

1. MtroidPrncss

MtroidPrncss

Feb 28, 2008
    I know there are bass recommendation threads on here, but I have a specific question. I would really like to get into playing bass, but I have a fairly low budget. However, I would of course still like to get the best bass for my money. Right now, it's between the Ibanez GSR200FM Left-Handed, Hofner Icon Series Vintage Left-Handed, and Ibanez SR300DX Soundgear Left-Handed. Are the Hofner or Ibanez SR300DX worth the about $100 more? Does any one of these three really stand out from the others? If anyone has any recommendations for any other good beginning basses under $400 that will last, I would love the advice. Thanks!

2. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    If you have the cash for it, the electronics and build quality difference between the SR300 and the GSR200 is well worth $100. Unfortunately, I haven't played the Hofner to give you a first-hand rating of it.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    the standard answers you'll get are either Squier VM series, or SX. you have to buy the SX sight-unseen, which can be hazardous, but in general most folks like 'em.*
    the Squier VM's you can get your hands on and find one that feels and sounds good to you. that's what i'd recommend

*most of the folks who like the SX basses are intermediate players who have a good idea what they want, and can modify a crappy bass to turn it into something awesome. remember, most noobs have no idea what they're doing, or what they're looking for, so they won't know if they got a good bass or a bad bass until years later, if they continue. and the number of bad or not-as-good SX's is high enough that i would never take the chance of recommending them to a beginner.

4. I have to go with Mr. Doom on this. I still play a Squire. I have modified it over time, but I really like the tone (new bridge and pickups). It is affordable. It is a pretty quality instrument. IMHO the nice thing about a Squire P or J bass is that you can get a bunch of different tones out of them- they are appropriate for nearly every style of music.

Whatever you decide, go to the shop and play it. I would NEVER, EVER buy an instrument sight unseen. Even a cheap one.

That being said, you can recoup the cost of a Squire on CL pretty easy. Same goes for the Ibanez.

5. MtroidPrncss

MtroidPrncss

Feb 28, 2008
    Thanks for the helpful feedback! The problem with playing the basses before I buy them is that every store I've been to only has 1 left-handed bass, so I may have to buy sight unseen.