Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of buying a Fender (possibly Re-issue)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lewk, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Hey Guys,

First up, this is my first post here on what I have so far found to be an excellent place for bass resources! I've only been here a week or two, even though I’ve been playing for just over 2 years, and have already learned a lot about some of the things I’m not so sure about in the world of bass. So thanks for that!

I'm considering saving up for a current 75 re-issue jazz. I haven’t been able to find one of these to play yet, and I was wondering if you could help me with a few questions about fenders/re-issues.

For a bit of background, I currently play an Ibanez EDA-900 (which I love to bits, even though I know it is "frowned upon" by many ;)) and for my second bass I want something a little more traditional.

Enough waffle, on with the questions!

1) Is there much difference in tone between these 75 re-issues and a standard American made jazz bass? I'm become a big fan of the more "classic" bass sound recently. Would the re-issues deliver this or would a normal (and presumably cheaper) jazz be able to do the same thing?

2) I won't lie by saying the looks of the re-issue is what immediately appealed to me of the bass, but naturally when purchasing, the sound and playability would be the main factor. I especially like the metal pickup and bridge covers and the maple fret board. Do these metal covers alter the sound at all? Are these covers available separately and able to be attached to a standard fender?

i have also never played on a maple fret board. Does this also make a difference to playability or is it wholly cosmetic?

3) Are precision basses any better or worse than jazz? I presume from simply reading they are less versatile tonally, but I wonder if anyone would care to basically explain the fundamental differences between the two.

I understand that a lot of these questions are answerable by me simply going to a shop and playing some basses, which I fully intend to do. However if some of you experienced people could give me some pointers on what to look out for and tips, I would be wholly grateful!

I thank you for taking the time to read my post this far. I understand these are very basic questions, but I hope I didn't bore you too much!

I also apologise if this has been covered previously, I couldn't find anything on search.

Cheers,
    Luke

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    First off, welcome to TB.

1. I'm not totally sure about sound differences, but i'm almost positive that the pickups in the RI's are different.

2. Yes, they look beautiful! The pickup covers are available seperatley, and do attach to "normal" fenders. I do not see a tonal difference with having them on vs. Having them off. I think back then, they actually did something, but now, they are purely cosmetic.

Supposedly there is a difference between Maple and Rosewood boards. Maple is more punchy and bright, while rosewood is more mellow and calm.

As for the P-bass vs. J-bass, there is a difference, but this is purely opinion. Some say P-basses don't have enough high end, some say J-basses don't have enough thump. It really goes down to what you prefer. The P bass necks are a little chunkier, while the J-bass necks are thinner.

Good Luck,
    Scott

Edit: Damn, SMASH beat me to it.

3. Smash, you Da Man!

I concur!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Welcome to talkbass, I do own both MIA standard and the 75RI jazz. they do sound different. the rear pup on the 75RI is closer to the bridge and it does have a snappier tone. The necks are also a different profile with the 75RI bass being a much slimmer (skinnier feeling) neck due to the absence of graphite rods as in the MIA standard basses(in the newer basses anyway).As for rosewood being more mellow, that is not the case in my 75RI. it can be bright as all get out, even brighter than my natural ash body/maple neck jazz. The covers come with the 75RI but are not installed. The holes are not drilled either. Fender gives you the option install them yourself and if not the bass will not have holes in it. My 75RI is my main gigging bass with my MIA standard jazz being my staple in my stable of basses.

5. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Just to be a P-Bass advocate...

My Ps have versatility from my amp, and my Js lack the low end thump I love. I keep my Js for studio stuff when needed, but I feel that my p basses are all around more versitile.

It all comes down to preference, as people here will tell you.

Good Luck.

6. some good answers your questions here. I have a compromise. take a look at the Geddy Lee signature model bass. it has the cool looks of the 70's re-issue and it is cheaper. I really like how it plays and the pickups really sound great on it. and Japan made fenders are typically of good quality. it's probably one of my favorite fenders out there right now.

on the P bass or Jazz bass thing, that is purely a personal thing, you just have to decide what tone you like more. many people have both.

7. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    thanks for all the feedback so far! Obviously i will be trying out these basses first, though in the UK i'm finding it hard to track down some models, but i have a long time (about a year) which i am spending lookign at basses. this may seem excessive but it means i have the time to look at all the options open and choose a near as dammit perfect bass! i also love stingrays but they are fairly expensive here in the uk and just a little out of my price range.

i will definitly check out that geddy lee bass, shame it don't have the natural wood finish though!

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Check out the Marcus Miller Jazz, that is one sweet bass!

9. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    Yeah, it's all well and good checkign out these signature models, but i think they may be well out of my price range. still, i'll play them to gain some kind of opinion on what "high end" really sounds like, and then i can choose the lower end models bassed (hoho) on this.

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    the last 2 Fenders i owned were a Geddy Lee and a 75 RI.

the 75 was natural black pg...just beautiful.

loved it. sold it.

the last 2 and my fave 2 of the fender line.

well, that and the jaco.

f