1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of buying a new bass, advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Changles, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Changles

Changles

Aug 29, 2008
    Harrogate, UK
    Howdy
    At the moment I'm playing an epiphone thunderbird and it is rather nice. But I think it's time to move on to something with less fret buzz. I haven't played all that many basses so I was just wondering if you lot could tel me your recommendations etc.
    I want a bass with a fat sound, that can punch through the mix etc. Preferably without breaking the bank.
    Anyhow, inundate me!

2. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    P bass fits the bill: fat punch

Plus don't forget that the fret buzz is an issue of bass set up

3. Changles

Changles

Aug 29, 2008
    Harrogate, UK
    aye, I've had it professionally set up but 'my guy' said there's bound to be some fret buzz somewhere on a guitar that isn't brilliant no matter how right the action is and all that.

I'm not sure about a P bass for a few reasons, there are so different types! What's good and bad?
    Also everyone has a P bass, I don't want to shrink into the crowd

4. peakdesign

peakdesign

Aug 25, 2008
    Uh, an SX Fender PBass copy with fresh roundwounds ?

.... duck & run :D

5. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Fretz buzz? Flatwound on P Bass give you massive fat and low end sound and cut nicely in the mix as well. No finger noise and fretbuzz sound by using flatwound.

Also you mention you don't want a p bass because everyone is using them. No matter what bass you use their will be lots of people use them.

This is the thing when getting a new bass, you always think you want something special and different from other, but you probably end up buying a jazz or p bass sometime in the future.