1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking Of Buying a SX SJB-75C 4+1 3TS Ash

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Starflyer59, Sep 22, 2008.

1. i am seriously GASsing this bass.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75c41ash.html

any pro's cons?? is it a keeper or is it one of those i need to modify in order to make it sound better???

Your input(s) is greatly appreciated.

2. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I had this same bass in natural with the old style headstock. Like you, I got serious GAS from it's flashy 70's appearance. Here's the review that I wrote up when I got it.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200217&highlight=jazz

After having it for a while (after writing the review above) I determined that the pups were definately not up to my standards. Switching them out for a used set of carvin pups helped, but in the end, the bass was not a good enough instrument to be a keeper, and getting a Skyline 55-01 made it even clearer that the SX just wasn't going to cut it. I realized that I'd rather use one of my 4 string basses as a backup to the 55-01 than the sx 5er so I sold it and have no regrets.

Looking at the Rondo site, I notice that even with a new headstock design, the strings still splay out at the bridge, and it still has the same look-expensive-but-are-cheap tuners that mine had. Also, I've owned a few SX's and for some reason, my experience has been that SX 4ers are markedly superior to their 5 string versions.

After some more mods it might be good enough, but looking at your profile, I doubt that you would find that this particular SX plays or sounds as good as the Fender 5er or Ibanes SR605 that you currently have.

3. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I just bought one a couple weeks ago, Great bass for the money. I gave a bit more indepth review, to someone's questions, in another thread.

4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I just sold the natural twin to the bass you are looking at. I sold it because I have two other basses and needed a new rack for a bass head I just got,not because I didn't like it. It was my 4th SX Jazz 5 string and was very good stock.The pickups and hardware are pretty good and the SX 5s sound like a good Jazz should to me.They do need a few little tweeks, The B and E string holes in the bridges are too small for some wrapped strings so they need to be drilled out a little for different strings and most of the time they need a truss rod tweek and bridge saddle adjusting but thats about it. I had one I put an Audere preamp in that just killed but they certainly don't need that to sound and play good.

I did do a mod to the one I just sold that only costs about $5 that does away with one of the beefs Eilif had with then. I got a new string tree at Music Go Round that puts tension on all 5 strings. I'll post a picture. For reference I've had an American Jazz Deluxe 5 and a Lakland JO5 and although the SX isn't anywhere near the quality of those two I've played my SX5 at bar gigs and some big stages and have and been happy with my tone and the way it plays. They are easy worth twice what they cost.

basses08002. basses08001.

5. Thanks for your responses, i really appreciate them.

6. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Interesting. The only obvious differences I see between my SX 4's and 5's are:

1. The string spacing on the 5 is tighter.

2. The tuners on the 5's are better, IMO. they both work, and neither are high quality, but I wish I could have a 4 string set of the 5er tuners.

This is on Ash 5ers. I don't have an Ash 4 stringer. Maybe that's where the 4 stringers are better?

7. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The differences were mostly in the quality of the finishing and build quality. The four stringers I had had very good frettwork, comfortable necks, and good attention to detail.

The 5er had lower quality tuners (they looked better and more substantial, but were roughly cast and not as functional), pickups whose poles didn't line up with the strings, roughly cut pickguards, and just didn't seem to be as well built. What I mistakenly referred to as "strings splaying at the bridge" I meant strings splay out at the nut. When Rondo reshaped their headstock, they didn't bother to make the easy change of aligning the tuners so that the string passes in a strait line from bridge to tuner.

Mine also had finish and visible glue leakage, but that was a Blem issue, and Rondo fixed it with a partial refund.

I like SX basses, and I actually had a bit of regret after selling the sjb62 I had. The bass that is the topic of this thread looks hot, but I just don't think that it's a better constructed, playing, or sounding bass than the fender 5er that Starflyer59 (great name by the way) already has.

Starflyer59,
    If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion....

If you have the cash for an SX, and want a higher quality Jazz'ish 5 stringer, Sell the fender, and maybe one of the Ibanez's and get yourself a Lakland Skyline 55-01. They go for about 500-550 used, and will smoke the Fender 5er you have, and any of the SX 5ers you are looking at.

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I think the blocks need to match the pickguard (like Blues Bass 2's bass, which is gorgeous), but other than that it's pretty.

I, however, am one of the minority of people who have been less than happy with their SX/Rondo experience. I don't ever expect to buy again, but judging by most people's experience they're a safe bet for either getting more than your money's worth or getting a bass you can mod without risking devaluing the instrument.

9. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    I just pulled the trigger on the natural version of this bass. I'll post comments when I get it.

10. to be honest i am not a huge fan of laklands....but thanks for the suggestion regardless

11. peakdesign

peakdesign

Aug 25, 2008
    I just got a SX SJB-75 3/4 NA Short Scale. I am still pondering whether to keep it. In the last 3 weeks I have gotten 3 Rondo basses. The SX basses and the whole Rondo SX/Brice/Douglas/Agile line is excellent overall, nothing so far I've seen has sucked, so you're down to personal prefs. They beat the Squires and rival the low end MIA Fenders, except in little issues. This particular SJB-75 Short model feels a little "thick" after my SJMB Short scale, which has the most precise and downright delicate feel that I really like. The body of the SJB-75 is heavier, bigger, thicker, the maple neck is a little thicker. So the overall impression is a little chunkier than the SJMB. On this SJB-75 3/4 the pickups do not center exactly under the strings, though everything works/sounds balanced and fine, so maybe it's due to using the same pickups for different models, but still it seems no reason for the pickups to be offset even if a little too big/small. But again, it sounds fine. The finish is great as usual, the neck inlays are well done, the frets right on and well finished. So I dunno where ya comin' from, whether you already know the Rondo line is quite good, or not, but if you don't know, well it is. As to specific models, they all have specific character. If this is your first Rondo bass, you're sure to be surprised at how decent an instrument they sell for the money. Aside from a bridge setup, maybe some truss rod touch up, and maybe a string change, especially on fretless models where they give you low end flatwounds, no, you don't need to do anything or swap out parts.