1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking of buying a Yamaha TRB 5 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QUSP, Oct 25, 2002.

1. QUSP

QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    I went to Guitar Center last night and became glued to this bass. The only reason why I didnt get it was because #1, I had a rehearsal to go to and I didnt have enough time to really hear all the tones of the bass and #2, I wanted other opinions on the price. They're selling the bass for $800 and there's nothing wrong with it at all. Is this a good price for a used fretless? (and this would be my first fretless) Any owners of a Yamaha TRB 5 Fretless or others who have played one, your opinion are welcome. Also, I know this question needs to be in the strings section, but what kinda strings sound best on a fretless?

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    First, I do not own a Yamaha TRB fretless. But, I did play one extensively in a GC a year or more ago and the particular one I was playing was excellent. One of the punchiest and nicest sounding fretless 5's I've played. I know that not all TRB 5s are the same, but if you found one as nice as the one I played, then $800 is cheap.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I would agree that 800 is a pretty good price for a TRB 5 fretless... and as a comparison, musician's friend is selling them for 1199$... 800$ doesn't sound to bad to me!

P@

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    My teacher uses a TRB 6 string fretted...gorgeous, amazing sound. It's what really opened my eyes to Yamaha products.