Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of buying a Yamaha TRB 5 Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by QUSP, Oct 25, 2002.

1. QUSP

QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    I went to Guitar Center last night and became glued to this bass. The only reason why I didnt get it was because #1, I had a rehearsal to go to and I didnt have enough time to really hear all the tones of the bass and #2, I wanted other opinions on the price. They're selling the bass for $800 and there's nothing wrong with it at all. Is this a good price for a used fretless? (and this would be my first fretless) Any owners of a Yamaha TRB 5 Fretless or others who have played one, your opinion are welcome. Also, I know this question needs to be in the strings section, but what kinda strings sound best on a fretless?

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    First, I do not own a Yamaha TRB fretless. But, I did play one extensively in a GC a year or more ago and the particular one I was playing was excellent. One of the punchiest and nicest sounding fretless 5's I've played. I know that not all TRB 5s are the same, but if you found one as nice as the one I played, then $800 is cheap.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I would agree that 800 is a pretty good price for a TRB 5 fretless... and as a comparison, musician's friend is selling them for 1199$... 800$ doesn't sound to bad to me!

P@

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    My teacher uses a TRB 6 string fretted...gorgeous, amazing sound. It's what really opened my eyes to Yamaha products.