Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of buying an IBANEZ EDB605

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrazyFoo, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Im thinkin of buyin an IBANEZ EDB605 to replace the Ibanez Roadster I've got at the moment, jst really want to change to a 5 string. If you've got any info on that bass or changing to a 5 string i'd appreciate it. Cheers!

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I had the four string, EDB600.. I hated it. After the stock strings ware out, it loses its sound. The pickups are also a little weak. It's heavy for its size, and the body smells. I would recommend a BTB series over the EDB.

3. I played an EDB605 a few years ago, it was a good bass.

If you have the chance to check out one of these, by all means do: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=EDA905

As you probably know, it too is made of Luthite, and has the attendant *gasoline* smell. :D

Mine is fretless. I bought it not because it is or isn't Ibanez, but because it was an unlined fretless for less than $1,000.

I must say that I am most pleased with this bass. Its EQ is downright weird, but if you take the time to tweak it, you can get a few nice, different and useable sounds out of it.

I very highly recommend this bass; I almost bought a fretted model a few weeks ago. Along with a good tone, this bass is extremely comfortable to play - sitting or standing.

Just asking: Is there any reason you want to by a second Ibanez?

I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions.

Play it before you buy it. If you need any help with the EQ, just let me know.

Good luck.

Mike :)

4. Thanks mate. I read loads about this bass but i didn't know anything about the smell. Is it really bad then or jst kinda a background thing?

And trying it out is a bit of a problem for me too. I've checked out all the music shops around my area and cant find one with it in, dont know if'll i can try it before i buy.

And its not that i set out to buy a second Ibanez, someone recommended the EDB605 when I told them i was lookin for a 5 string. I didn't really want anything more expensive because im not in a band right now and im still learning.

5. If you buy one new in a sealed box as I did, you'll notice the smell as soon as you open the box. It's moderatly strong for about two days, but after that you'll have to put your nose right next to it to notice any odor. The more you leave it out of the case, the faster the odor will dissipate.

Good luck whatever you buy.

Mike ;)

6. The only ergodyne basses that I haven't hated hae been EDAs. The EDBs and EDCs have all sounded muddy.

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm with Michael Jewels on this one. I've played an EDB but wasn't very impressed. I had an EDA905 for a while and loved it until it broke. It sounds best by far with flats to my ears. It had a few quality issues with the piezo system though. Even with those problems I'm hoping I just had a bad apple and I'm gonna get another one when I get the money.

I've never played an EDC but they look very interesting, PM Allodox a question a bout them, it's his bass of choice.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
  9. bassplayer290

bassplayer290

Oct 4, 2004
    my five string sucks

10. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I have an EDB690 (4 string version, different finish)...I haven't played many basses, so a comparison is pointless, but yes it does smell...but it smells good (to me)...it's hardly noticeable unless you sniff the body.