1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of buying Diamond Memory Lane 2, advice?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CliffD, Dec 8, 2011.

1. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Hola,

I've been seriously considering the purchase of a Diamond Memory Lane 2 over the past couple of weeks. I haven't just yet because of the price and because of other feature packed delays such as the Strymon Timeline that are cheaper. After owning a malekko 600 dark that was tons of fun I'd like another analog delay.

Are there any current or past owners that can offer some input? Obviously the Memory Lane 2 is expensive, big, and runs on a lot of power. Does the sound with bass make up for these things?

Are there any other analog delays I should check out? (aside form the non existent malekko 919)

Thanks!

2. yeah it's killer, i had the 1 and 2 and loved the both. if you want the ultimate analog delay then get it. sounds great, features and tones out the yang, it's an amazing pedal.

the strymon is digital isn't it? not the same.

the only thing i'd recommend is if you're not wanting to spend all that dough, and just want a great solid analog delay, get a malekko 616, i've owned a few and they sound amazing. great features and small footprint too.

3. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Cool thanks for the input Mark. I'll check out the malekko 616.

4. and if you want to go super cheap, go for my all time favorite, dod fx96. it has a low pass filter "tape quality knob" that makes the repeats deteriorate more aka sounds like tape with dirty repeats.

5. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Cool thanks again for the input Mark. It seems there's really no other analog delay that has all of the features of the ML2, odds are it'll end up on my board but I am looking into the malekko 616. Thanks for the tip on the dod.

6. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Well, I had Malekko Echo 600 Dark and Bright and Memory Lane 1 and 2 (actually 3 of them: silver, burgundy and pink :)). My guitar player has 616 but I haven't tried in on bass.

ML2 is a nice delay for sure, but it lacks character IMO + all these extra features were an overkill for me.

Malekko Dark is great, but on extreme settings it becomes very muddy. I don't like that dry signal isn't 100% dry, but it's dark. You can always switch the buffer on, it adds top end, but I simply don't like how your bass sounds in this mode.

My all time favourite delay is older Maxon AD900. Deep and organic.

7. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Ok cool thanks for the input jetofuj. I think what I'll do is order all of these from a retailer and keep what sounds best to me. Any other analog delays I should consider? Thanks.

8. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair

Jan 28, 2011
    France
    After doing some research, and always yearning for a really nice analog delay with tap tempo, I bought a Memory Lane 1 a while back. It's still my #1 delay.
    The ML2 looks awesome, but I don't really need to switch between two separate delay times. Definitely the grand daddy of analog delays.

Size: While it is big, it fits nicely on a PT2 size board.

Power: If you power your pedals with a Pedal Power 2 type supply, then all you need is a coupler cable (granted you loose one output).

Price: Yeah, it's steep. But you can always find decent deals on used ones, and once you have it, I doubt you'll be jonesin' for anything else (Diamond customer service is ace too).

9. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I think it's a very smooth, organic delay. Two channels is probably a bit much for me. The modulation is subtle. I love it, but wonder about the Strymon...