1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of Career flip... help?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Selta, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey everyone...
    So, lately, things have become rather stagnant. I'm working a low-level IT job, and for the foreseeable future, there's no upward motion for me where I am.
    I don't currently hold any degrees. I'm 22 years old. This fall I'm going to have two associates' degrees - on in Telecommunications and the other IT Administration. Yippie...
    Anyway. I'm looking hard into changing things up entirely.
    Music has always been a fall-back option for me. However, I'm not good enough, no do I ever see myself being good enough to be a studio player, or even really making it "big" with a band. In fact, I'm quite comfortable as a simple weekend warrior.
    So, about 3 weeks ago I got this shinning idea to build a studio and start a label. Granted, this will take some monetary investment. That really isn't much of an issue at this point. I can bide my time at my current job while I put together the funding for the switch.
    The thing that concerns me is what should I look for, schooling wise? Should I really look for a degree in like Recording Arts? Hit a trade school for the 3-4 months and get me piece of paper there? Don't worry about any of that?

Mostly I'm looking for input from those that have done this. I'm not looking to start a huge label overnight with 10 artists or anything. Mostly, something to start putting my bands own music out there, then as more stuff comes, cool. Leasing out the studio / equipment etc. would all fall in line pretty easily I would think.

The lady is very backing of this choice. In fact, she would go so far as helping as much as she can, as this interests her almost as it does for me!

Anyway, any and all input is appreciated :). I just don't really know where to even look to start this endeavour. I've googled a bit, but there's a lot of information, and a lot of it is conflicting. So, I come back to TB looking for help.

Help? :confused:

2. sounds like something you'd enjoy ray

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Do it. Be happy man. You'll be provided for.

And I'll join your record label. :D

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Thanks. I'm sure it would be something I'd enjoy very much. At worst, I have a nice place to jam and record my own junk. At best, well, who knows?
    It's not to say that I'm UNhappy where I am. In fact, I do like my job. I just don't like the fact that I don't see where I'm going with my current job & place of employment.
    If I'm going to switch jobs, I want to give this a "go" and see how it fares me. If anything, so what, no loss and I jump back into the IT world.