1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

thinking of getting a DS-1 distortion pedal, should I get it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PneumaticFrog, Jul 8, 2018.

1. PneumaticFrog

PneumaticFrog

Jun 19, 2018
    hey all, just considering buying a DS-1 distortion pedal, should I go for it? or should I go for a better distortion pedal? if there are any better distortion pedals around the same price or cheaper can you tell me thanks

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    They sound pretty good but do lose low end i think. You might not mind, or you might.

I’ll assume you’re looking for a decent cheap distortion that works well on bass:

In that price range, the Bad Monkey is a solid choice for bass (different sound from the DS-1). Or Joyo Ultimate Drive (same) is well liked round here, tho i haven’t tried it.

Or look at Mooer. They have various affordable dirt pedals, some of which are supposedly bass-friendly.

3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Also, this is the wrong forum for this...

SunnBass likes this.
  4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    There are so many choices for bass distortion available.
    Why settle for the DS-1?
    Do some research here on Talk Bass, and watch some You Tube demos.

And yes, to second @knumbskull, this should be in the effects forum.

knumbskull likes this.
  5. cmcbass

cmcbass

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    The second bass player in my band uses one as a boost/distortion for heavier and louder parts. It definitely loses low end. I think he just uses it because it was free.

BassWaffle likes this.
  6. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    You might try an Ibanez TS9B Bass Tubescreamer. Through a combination of a bass knob and a mix knob (which let’s you blend in your full clean signal to taste so as to retain your original bottom end), it does quite well in relation to staying bassy while adding dirt in the overdrive-to-distortion range. I dig the tone. Tastes vary, but I definitely like it a lot more than the distortion from my Aguilar ToneHammer, for one

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  7. PneumaticFrog

PneumaticFrog

Jun 19, 2018
    My bad, I'm new.

knumbskull likes this.
  8. PneumaticFrog

PneumaticFrog

Jun 19, 2018
    I might just get the ds-1, i can get it barely used for only $40 AUD as apposed to $80 AUD.

9. Heck no!

In a world of amazing bass overdrive/distortion pedals - that one is positively average on bass.

cmcbass likes this.
  10. Alright constructive comment- for REALLY cheap bass OD I would look at secondhand:

EHX glove
    EHX OCD
    Joy o ultimate drive
    EHX bass soul food
    DIGItech bad monkey

Tonnes more out there

knumbskull likes this.
  11. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Sure, 40 bucks; go for it. After all, you can always sell a DS-1 again for around $40. That will give you first hand experience with the issues involved and then you can go from there. In the interim, at least you’ll have some kind of distortion to mess around with.

Meanwhile, keep an eye open for a used TS9B Bass Tubescreamer; one should come up eventually

12. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    only buy it if you plan to mod it

Papalampraina likes this.
  13. I got mine for free otherwise I would never get that for bass unless you use it with a mixer type of pedal to retain the low end. In that case it does sound nice.

14. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I have one - I only use it at home, bass distortion doesn’t really fit with the bands I play with, so I can’t comment on how it sounds in a mix - but it was used and cheap, I like the way it sounds, and I have fun with it, so what’s to lose?

FWIW, I went through a dirt exploration phase a few months ago, which is when I bought it - I also own a few others, including Joyo Ultimate Drive, Joyo American, Joyo California, Joyo Orange Juice, EHX Hot Tubes, EHX Green Russian RI, a Little Bear clone of a Wooly Mammoth, and EHX BassBalls. I also have a Zoom B1Xon which gives me some SVT, Rat, and Tubescreamer patches, among many others. For dirt, the OJ and Green Russian are my favorites for sure, I like a good tubey overdrive and I love fuzz, but I play with all of them. I highly recommend the Zoom B1Xon, especially with the free ToneLib software to manage patches.

15. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    How would anyone pay money for a DS-1? At this point they should come free with any and every instrument, plugged in for 90 seconds, and then promptly put in a box for the DS-1 gnomes to take at night to be included in the next poor souls instrument purchase.

cmcbass and spaz21387 like this.
  16. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    So long as you pair it with a Boss LS-1 or any other blend pedal, you should be fine. Having the ability to blend a wet/dry signal will open up a lot of options as far as a drive pedals

jcerio, knumbskull and BillMason like this.
  17. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Like most dirt pedals designed for guitar, it loses a lot of low end when used with a bass. Also it's the cheapest entry level pedal Boss made.

The posters above are suggesting either a pedal designed for bass, or the use of a blend pedal with the DS-1 to mix some low end back in.

18. Karlson541

Karlson541 Banned

Jun 9, 2018
    I know several distortion pedals that I personally think would be better for bass than the DS-1 that is cheaper as well.
    Too much low end loss with the DS-1, though nothing will sound just like it.

I would recommend the Joyo Ultimate Drive instead which has already been mentioned a couple of times in this thread.

Joyo American Sound and Joyo California Sound are great options too, but the Ultimate Drive will character wise be a bit more like the DS-1, just with a whole less low end loss, whereas the American Sound is great for light to medium tube like overdrive and the California Sound is really excellent for a meaty high gain distortion.

BillMason likes this.
  19. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Or, you could save up for a bit and buy something much nicer.
    Maybe something with better low-end response, maybe even something made for bass.

20. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    If you're thinking about and want to then yeah you just should get one...

BillMason likes this.