1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking of Getting a Lakland 55-01 - Input?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Morales, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    Thinking of getting a Lakland Skyline 55-01. Anyone have one of these? Any good or bad experiences with them?

Also - pick a color for me (I'm indifferent) - Natural, Black, or Burst? Rosewood or Maple. Most votes wins.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    They are great basses. Comparable to many $1,500 basses except for less body contouring. They have a slightly compressed, modern tone. The build quality is excellent. I love maple fingerboards. Get one with a natural or black finish.

3. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    Was up in the air between the 4 and the 5 string (being a guitarist by trade and just getting into bass) - my logic is that the low B is there if I needed it.

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have a 55-01. It is my favorite axe. It even sees more time than my carvin. Everything about it is top notch. I am changing out the preamp for the new lakland one. The stock mk1 existing pre is great, but the new Lakland pre is extraordinary! If you are serious about bass, you might as well go 5 string right off the bat, and the 35" scale makes for a very tight b string.

As for color I would say go sunburst. As for fingerboard, I would say that depends on the tone you want. Either one will be versatile, but for ultimate spank and snap, go maple, for something smoother, go rosewood.

No matter what options you choose, you really can't go wrong with Lakland.

One thing to consider, used 55-02's often sell here at talkbass for only a little more than 55-01's sell for new...

5. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    As many here on TB say-best bass for the money. I have a 5501 Deluxe that absolutely rules.

6. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    I'm mostly a guitarist and had a budget of around $1000 to spend. I initially bought a stingray (returned it), then bought a fender jazz (returned it). I finally realized that I couldn't justify spending that much money for an instrument that I mostly just tool around on and jam with a band once in a while. So for $650 or so I figured I can get a great bass and have $350 to spend on other things (golf clubs etc...)