1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking of getting a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Meltbrain, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

It's been a while since I posted here. I'm thinking of getting a new bass, probably a Warwick of some kind. I'm in the UK and for some reason there aren't many new Warwicks about at all. I'm not sure what's going on. I'm doing some enquiries but there just aren't many around at all. eBay seems to be the best thing at the minute to get hold of a bass.

I've got an old Rockbass corvette circa 2002 at the minute which is starting to fall apart a bit. It seems to me that the newer Rockbasses are a bit better built? I'm not sure. Mine doesn't have the 3D bridge or the pop-off truss cover that the new ones do.

I'm on a bit of a budget so a proper German bass is kinda out of the question. I've had a look at some of the Pro series basses which I might be able to stretch to, but is it really worth the jump in price (which is quite a jump) or should I stick with a Rockbass until I can just afford to get the real deal?

At the minute I'm thinking about getting the Rockbass Corvette $$ 5-Stringer but very much open to suggestions.

Apologies for the rambling,
    Thanks in advance! :bassist:

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    How is yours falling apart? Does it just need some screws tightened up? I know the eartly rock basses with std traditionbal type bvridge sufurred form soft chinese screws. So replacing those if you have such is wise. I want twist apart on the shaft for pup adjustment screw on a rearly version ockbass vampyre btw. The new rockbasses are supposedly much better build materials for hardware and screws. But like any bass, may need occasional screw tighten and of course check all screws for tightness when fitst geting new on eout of box or home for store floorstock.

3. I've given the bass a good once over several times but it's just in bad shape, some of the hardware is starting to rust, the body is dinked quite badly in several places.

What did you mean about the soft chinese screws? I did have to adjust the bridge recently as the intonation was completely out and I was worried the neck might be warping but I managed to get it much closer in tune.

Thanks for the reply :)

4. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    The newer Rockbasses are better built, but they're still the "Warwick cheap brand." You won't be disappointed with a Rockbass, but I suggested waiting and saving for a real German made one. You won't believe the difference. I had the same reservations as you once, but once I got a real MIG Warwick, I'll only ever use a Rockbass as a backup :)

So save and get the real deal :)

5. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    You can be assured the new Rockbasses are in a different category of quality than the older ones. We did a complete overhaul from top to bottom, and are very pleased with the outcome. They all feature 2-piece bodies, with a 3-piece maple laminated neck with ekanga veneers, as well as the exact same MEC pickups and hardware found on the German basses. 2-piece 3D bridge, tuning keys, and quick-access control cover and truss rod cover. Besides the upgrades in construction and materials, quality control is of the utmost importance. Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can assist you in any way. Thanks!

6. Thanks for your replies!

That's awesome. Just what I wanted to know. Does the Rockbass Corvette $$ have the option of active electronics? Or is it strictly passive only?

Thanks once again for the replies!
    I'm definitely getting closer to getting something fantastic. :)

7. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    My pleasure, Meltbrain! The Rockbass Corvette $$ comes with Passive Electronics only. Please let me know if you've got any other questions, I'm more than happy to be of assistance.

8. After much searching and consideration, I managed to get hold of an immaculate second hand FNA Jazzman 5-String from a guy on eBay. I'm totally in love with the thing!

9. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Glad to hear it Meltbrain! Again, please let me know if you've got any questions, or if I can assist you in any way. Enjoy!