1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of getting a PJB breifcase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guerillajazz, May 10, 2010.

1. guerillajazz

guerillajazz Supporting Member

May 10, 2010
    Hello,
    I have heard many great thing about these amps and they seem to be ideal for what I need. Anyone on here trying to unload one they already have? I definitely don't have the bread to go new. Thanks in advance.

2. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    I love the tone and (obviously) love the form factor. The EQ section is incredibly well-voiced. Just a very musical sounding amp. Sounds phenomenal with my fretless basses. You simply cannot get a bad sound out of this amp.

The big problem, as you'd expect, is the total lack of headroom. With a 5-string, it struggles to keep up even at bedroom volumes without farting out. Honestly, it's not even powerful enough for band practice or small coffee-house gigs.

It's main role would be a low-volume monitor for recording. For that job, it would be tough to beat the PJB Briefcase. I suppose it would also make a great practice, bedroom, and general knock-around amp...though it's quite expensive for such use.

I ended up selling the Briefcase here on TB and moved to the bigger (200W @ 8ohm, 300W @ 4ohm, 4x5", front-ported) PJB Suitcase. Even that is sometimes overwhelmed at moderate volumes when used alone, which is why I'm looking for a 4B extension cabinet to go with it.

And that's basically where it stands with PJB gear: phenomenal sound, but quite expensive considering its very low-output. Putting together a PJB rig that's loud enough for stage use would cost you a fortune.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have tried the various PJB combo amps and found them a bit lacking. Look for a used Markbass Minimark, it is so much better and just slightly larger than the Briefcase.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    IME/IMO there are faaaaar superior options available...like the GB Shuttle 3-8 combo, which is louder, as toneful and much lighter and smaller, not to mention more full-featured (DI, aux, phones, presets) and has a detachable head with 300 watts on tap. The only unique features of the briefcase IMO are the shape and battery capability.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If you really dig the tone of PJB, get a "Bass Buddy". Its the same amp thats in the Briefcase. You just need a power amp to make her sing. It has a very good, clean tone.

6. MB minimark . . . love mine, used in on tons of gigs. seen a few used too . . .