1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking of getting a Roland PK-5 MIDI bass pedal.....thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MovingPitchers, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Trying to get some of that Geddy Lee stuff going on with my feet.

Does anyone have experience with these? There's no way I'll ever be able to afford a Moog Taurus, like the one Geddy and Alex use on tour.

2. lerxst_x likes this.
  3. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've been using a PK-5A for a few years and love it. I also have a Keith McMillen 12-Step but don't like it as much so I generally only use it for fly-in gigs.

Lots of info here:

Bass Pedal (Taurus, Roland, MIDI, etc) Club?

--jack

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Pretty sure they use the PK5 live, with sampled Moog Taurus sounds, and for triggering other samples.

5. I tried the 12 step. Wasn't into it for the same reason I like using a wireless. I like to be able to move around onstage. Don't like standing still all the time while I play. I found the better solution for me was to use a digitech jamman as a foot controlled sampler. You can record and save samples as a "one shot" loop so it's doesn't repeat like a loop, it only plays once. Already had some virtual instruments and a korg TR rack module to get sounds from. I've also gotten some wacky sounds from music apps like the akai mpc app by connecting my iPhone to the jammans aux in. The auto record feature makes it soooo much easier to deal with than using other loopers the same way. Just don't put it in your bass signal chain. Pick up a cheap DI and run samples on a seperate track.