1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of getting a Warwick Rockbass 'Vette fretless Fiver (2010 model)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boomtisk, Oct 10, 2010.

1. boomtisk

boomtisk

Nov 24, 2009
    Germany
    I've been looking for a 5 string fretless available in lefty that won't break the bank for ages and I must say those new Rockbasses look quite nice. Has anyone ever tried a five string fretless one?

I've always liked the Corvette look and judging from the woods and pickups (alder body, maple neck, Jazz pickups), they should sound pretty J Bass-ish, I imagine. Thing is, as I'm not very much into active electronics anymore, I sorta want the passive version but I hear that the old passive Rockbass models were very quiet which might pose a problem or two. Is this problem still there?

I will probably come up with more questions as I go along. :D So has anyone had a chance to try the new Rockbasses yet? Thanks a lot in advance!

2. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    I have a fretted Corvette $$....and it is awesome. I do wish it was fretless though, cause the fretless bug bit about two months after I got it. I played it yestarday morning in a pretty varied session, from very har rock to the gentlest of worship, and it delivered all the way, not once giving an issue with tone that doesn't fit the setting. The two very competent bass players I rotate with (I am the beginner) came and gave me a lot of compliments on the tone and presence of the bass.

That said, if it was fretless it would probably be the most versatile bass I have ever played.

The neck is really slim (21mm at nut up to 25mm at heel). I work for a retailer and we do have a Corvette in stock with the jazz p/ups and passive electronics. Though it does not have the absolute attitude the $$ has, it does have a very nice warm tone which doesn't lose it's definition, and is easily manipulated with finger technique. I am positive that you will like it, but I suggest you take one for a run, even if it is the fretted model.

3. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    I played the Rockbass 2010 fretless fiver a couple of weeks ago. I was quite impressed. I play Warwick Corvette standard fretless 4 string normally and have been looking to get 5 fretless. I also play a 5 string Streamer so this felt like a combination of the two basses in my hands which was weird and awesome. So comfortable and the tone was good. I think it could be great with different strings and maybe only maybe pick up/preamp upgrades. I;m pretty sure I'll end up with one by the end of the year.

4. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    I wonder how you'd even get a 5 string left handed fretless rockbass? thats pretty out there by most player's standards, I know you can get the german ones custom ordered but i'm not sure how customisable you can get with the rockbass

5. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    You could probably get it from Germany as well, as they do all the Rockbass neck in Germany too. I had a Rockbass with a trussrod issue, and the distributor shipped it to Germany for repair. I would drop them a mail and ask the question.

6. boomtisk

boomtisk

Nov 24, 2009
    Germany
    Thanks for the replies so far, everyone!

Thomann (Germany's biggest music equipment retailer) actually carries left handed five string fretless Rockbasses and I was thinking of getting one from there. Warwick always seemed extremely lefty-friendly (most of their models are available as lefties without extra charge) and it's great to see that the same seems to go for their Rockbass lineup.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021