Thinking of getting an 8x10,,, talk me into it,, or talk me out of it ;)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I play in some fairly loud rock bands, most of the time med to large rooms, most of the time PA support and I use the hell out of my low B string,,,, all passive Fender P bass's and one Steinberger Synapse bass,, all BEAD bass's.

Currently Im using a GK MB210 with a MBE 115 ext cab and have a MB200 as a back-up head in case my MB210 combo blows up during a gig,, if that were to happen I would use my MB200 with the MBE115 cab.

I have a mini van so transport of a 8x10 cab is no problem.

Im really looking at getting an 8x10 cab and have narrowed it down to the GK 810 or the Hartke 810.

Im leaning towards a GK head to power the 8x10 but also wondering if my GK MB200 head would work as a back-up emergency head in case what ever amp I buy as my main amp blows up at a gig.

I really like the Hartke LH1000 head but the thing weighs a bit much.

I've have read many of the 8x10 threads and am still on the fence so I figured I would post a "talk me into it" or "talk me out of it" thread to help me weigh (pun intended) all the pro's and con's of going 8x10.

Any feedback is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Davyo

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Personally, I don't want to carry that much around, especially since my dual 1x15s do just fine when I need both. I've compared them to an 810 and they gave it a good run for its money. Each of my 1x15s weighs only 45 lbs.

3. I say go for it. Its always nice to have a WMD in your arsenal. Keep your current setup for smaller gigs, and bust out the tower for the large ones.

4. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Thanks for the feedback Russell,,, and thats one of the things Im on the fence about.

Getting another MBE115 and have two 1x15's,,, but then again is it easier to just move and roll around one 8x10 cab or lift and stack and move two 1x15 cabs.

Cheers
    Davyo

5. imustscream

imustscream

Feb 21, 2012
    Its better to have too much balls than not enough. I'd go for it.

6. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    If you really want an 810, get it. But feature for feature, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, a 215 loaded with Eminence Kappa Lite 3015s/Faital Pro 15PR400s or Kappa Lite 3015LFs will eat its lunch every day of the week. Add a midrange driver or two and/or a super tweeter & horn if you like. I honestly can see no argument for an 810, again, unless you're just jonesing for one.

7. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Thanks for the feedback

Cheers
    Davyo

8. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    This.. might come a time where an 810 might be a budget choice, as more find their way in the used market..

9. I thought you already had the ultimate power to weight ratio rig when you had the Berlin and NY 151 extension cab. I love my Berlin and am gassing to add the extension.

10. Have to agree with this. Even an efficient 4X10 could blow away some 8X10's. If you want the stage look of an 8X10, get the GK. Sonically, I just don't think you need it, unless you are playing in Stadiums.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    810 fan here - I gig this every weekend:

IMAG0126.jpg

I would also consider SWR's Megoliath, if I were you - it's an awesome cab... I really like having more cab than I need - that way, I never push my rig hard, and can always hear myself well...

- georgestrings

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Name one, please...

- georgestrings

13. tarafran

tarafran

Mar 22, 2010
    Key west
    Endorsing Artist: GHS strings
    Gk 8x10 sealed Neo cabinet 1600W @4 ohms 110Lbs :) :)

I can load it myself in the minivan and any club situation

14. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...this is in reply to georgestrings' post #12...

Don't know if there's one on the market. Maybe. Maybe not. I also see no argument for a 410, lol.

But don't think it would be hard to build one (or have one built) that could outperform most, if not all, commercially available 810's. Probably all.

A 215 still rules the roost (or separate 115s).

15. Euphonic Audio NL410W

16. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Yep,, I did love my Mark Bass rig but in the end decided I liked the GK sound more than the Markbass sound,,,, just my personal taste.

One thing I will mention,,, when I did get my Mark NY 115 ext cab and hooked it up to my Berlin combo it was a HUGE improvement,,,,, I HIGHLY recomend getting the NY 115 cab to mate up with your Berlin combo.

Hey Tarafran,,,,, yea,, I have read some of your past postings about the GK 810 and reading your postings are one of the reasons the GK 810 is high on my shopping list.

Your one of the few on TB that own the GK 810 so any feedback you can offer would be great.

I take it your still lovin your GK 810 ?
    How would you compare it to the Ampeg 810 ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Davyo

17. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Ok,,, an update,,,, I just went on Amazon and they had the GK 810 marked down to the lowest price I have seen it at in a while so I just went ahead and ordered the the damm thing.

I hope I love it,,,, its a blind purchase as I have never played/demoed the GK 810.

Ok,,, so which GK amp to get for the GK 810 ?????

Cheers
    Davyo

18. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    As individual 115s can be so lightweight these days I'd say it's definitely easier to move and stack two of 'em than move a 100+lb. 810. Some folks don't mind, though. That's a personal call. Thing is, I'm 62 with a bad back, so lightweight is what I need. But, even if I were 20 I'd still want the lightweight stuff. That's just me, though. I guess maybe we aren't really helping you decide, huh? Don't worry, though, it'll hit you eventually what you want to do.

I compared my Markbass Little Mark III and two Traveler 151P cabs beside a vintage Ampeg V4 and 810 cab, and my rig rocked just as well. The Ampeg could get louder, but at that point it was louder than was needed, and certainly too loud to stand in front of at all.

EDIT: Oops, I was typing while you posted. Good luck with the purchase, pal.

19. Pro = it has a proven track record, sounds good, and it’s a standard backline cab.
    Con = it's not lightweight and takes a larger vehicle to haul around.

20. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Well, if you dig the GK thing, I'd go for a 700RB-II or 1001RB-II. I miss my 1001RB-II a lot... :rollno:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021