Thinking of getting an 8x10,,, talk me into it,, or talk me out of it ;)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. GK MB500 or MB800

EDIT: I read below the GK810 is setup for bi-amping. So if you want to bi-amp - checkout the GK800RB and the other GK bi-amp (I’m drawing blank of the model - sorry).

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Or that for more of what you've got.

3. tarafran

tarafran

Mar 22, 2010
    Key west
    Endorsing Artist: GHS strings
    Hi Davyo , I get the same range of sound than the old SVT 8x10 (circa 1980')with more power handling and also the added bonus of the tweeter if needed .
    I also got a marked down from Amazon ,an offer I could not pass ,bought it blind and never looked back.
    As far as power ,give as much as you can afford .
    I don't own a GK head presently(had a few RB 800 in the past)but the cabinet is setup for GK Bi-amp
    The 4 way Speakon is coming with the cabinet.

4. Hi Chris, which "GK" amp do you recommend to the OP for his GK810?

5. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Thanks Russell

Yep, I was looking at those.

Yep, looking at those as well,,, leaning towards the MB500.

Thanks Tarafran,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and yea, I had been checkin the Amazon prices for the last few weeks and then today right after I posted my thread I check Amazon and the GK 810 is way marked down,, an offer I could not pass on as well.

I wonder how the Hartke LH500 head would sound with the GK 810,,, I kinda like that Hartke as well as the GK heads,,,,,, geeze,,, more buying choices to think about,,,, it just never ends :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Davyo

6. I've never paired them so I don't know - also, I’m a Gallien-Krueger amp Fanboy. ;)

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Truthfully, I'd have to see/hear it to believe it...

- georgestrings

8. Understood. You asked me to name one, and I did. Challenge accepted, and complete.:D

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    for the OP's GK810, if he want's keep the whole rig GK, i'd get an 800RB, or a 1001RBII if you want alot of power/volume/headroom. i dig my 1001RBII.

that said, i like my new SVT7 Pro even more. ;)

10. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Sign of times and developing/improving technolgy, I suppose, but noone has mentioned the Bergantino NV610 yet. A year ago this would have been unthinkable....even if the OP doesn't use a tube head....

11. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    how is that possible?

12. JohnK's Starliner 215 crushes his 810. ;)

15s Rule!!! :D

13. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i own an ampeg 810, and two 215's (one with 3015's and the other with Faital 15PR400's) and the 215 cabs are capable of going way louder (stay cleaner at a higher SPL) and do it using less power too. my ampeg weighs 135lbs and my 215's weigh 46lbs each.

14. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    did i read that right?... 46 pounds for a 215?... what brand is it or is it homemade with speakers you ordered...

15. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Fearful is building composite 2X15s that weigh 35 pounds. We are living in a great time to have such awesome rigs at such low weights.

16. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    yep, 46lbs. i built them myself. they're very similar to a greenboy 'dually'. ( i built them before he released them but, hey great minds think alike ;))

2 x 3015's:
    2x15cabNo2-06.jpg

2x15cabNo2-04.jpg

2 x 15PR400's:
    2x15cab-20.jpg

17. Wrong kind of bi-amp.
    the 800rb is true bi-amp, the cab is set up for Gk's proprietary pseudu-bi-amp.

The 700Rb and 1001Rb are setup for THAt kind fo Bi-amp.

the difference is that the "new school" GK Biamp is tweeter only, fixed x-over at 5k, where as the 800rb starts at 1000hz and goes down from there adjustably as to fit the cabs you choose.
    edit 1000hz sorry

18. Good info - thank you. :)

OP - note the above.

19. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    How is it possible the 3015/15PR400 215 (not to mention one with mid drivers and/or super tweeter & horn) can best an 810? Displacement (Vd) = Cone surface area x Xmax. And dB SPL.

20. Bengals

Bengals

Jul 6, 2010
    I got an GK 810 off Craigslist for a great price, sounds great, looks awesome on stage and I'll never be drowned out at a show. As long as you have another person helping its not so tough to haul around. It's worth it IME.

image-1457937962.jpg

Also scares everyone on the way to gigs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021