Thinking of getting an 8x10,,, talk me into it,, or talk me out of it ;)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Another +1

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Would it be possible for me to talk to your spinal column for a second ... in private?

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

NNNNOOOOOO!!!!! DOOONNN"TTT!!!!

Seriously, why carry around a ton of extra weight you really don't need.

Yes the van can fit the cab, but who fits the cab into the van? I more than once had to load my 6x10 myself, it sucked, and it was a 70lb Markbass cabinet... enjoy loading your own fridge.

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    :eek: :eek: :eek: 150 pounds :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    :D

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yeah-funny thing about the spine: he's your best friend......until he's not:p

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, if you're going to haul it like that, i'd get a cover for it.

it seems like if you went over too big of a bump, you might pop a wheelie? :D

8. tarafran

tarafran

Mar 22, 2010
    Key west
    Endorsing Artist: GHS strings
    There is a big misconception about luggin the 8x10 neo around .
    It's only 110 Lbs with 2 great wheels in the back .
    very easy to balance ,go down stairs or up.
    Never had a back problem since I own it.
    I use to screwed up my back with 2x10 cabinets ,
    Not with this one as long as you have the right vehicule , easier than any cabinet with no wheels .
    Also takes a small footprint on stage

9. +1 on getting a cover - or a road case.

10. that's so cool!

as long as it doesn't rain....

11. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    Probably sooner than later as folks begin to discover that there are cabinets out there that are far lighter than a 8x10 and that produce better sound.

12. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    And you can fit a pair of 15/6/1's into a Honda Fit. And don't need another person helping.

13. Add a small amplified mixer and you have a nice little bar band PA too.

14. Bengals

Bengals

Jul 6, 2010
    We do have a cover for it, it was just such a nice day for a drive. We got some pretty amusing looks going through town.

Also to the fEARful crowd, I actually have considered going modular but the 810 is a proven standard for volume and tone; plus readily available for a reasonable price. For now, I'm young and the extra weight is worth the relative value of the cab.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... and some bungee cords.

16. Bergantino NV610.
    That's all, full stop. It's got more punch, more volume handling, more clarity at extreme volumes. I will put that cabinet up against several others (at the same time). Just saying, I've used it for years and it's the best bit of gear I've ever bought.

17. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    To answer what some of the comments have been about loading and moving an 810 cab.

After reading comments from folks that have 810's about loading and moving those cabs what they said really made sense,,,,, I can see how an 810 would be and is easier to load than two 410's or two of what ever size cabs.

With my 210 cab and my 115 cab I am always lifting them for stacking or loading and sometimes making two trips for a load in and load out.

With an 810 cab there is very little lifting,,,,, it more tilting it in and out of my mini van and driving the cab around on its own wheels,, there is no dead lifting of anything for loading or stacking.

Im all about having gear thats easy to load and use and to me an 810 seems like it will be easier than loading and moving seperate cabs.

Another plus for the 810,,, I will never have to worry about not having enough for ANY gig,,,, that has happened to me a few times.

Yes, I will keep my GK MB210 combo and my MBE115 cab for the uber small gigs,,, but use the GK810 for the med to large gigs,,,, anyhow,, thats my logic.

Cheers
    Davyo

18. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    The 810 is incredibly easy to move, load-in/out. Although I will agree that once the super 215's start becoming more commercial I would like to get one.

19. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    The GK 810 weighs 111 pounds,,, not 150.

Cheers
    Davyo

20. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...O.K., :eek: :eek: :eek: 111 pounds :eek: :eek: :eek: ...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021