Thinking of getting an 8x10,,, talk me into it,, or talk me out of it ;)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    No argument on the highlighted statement. Sure it's one of the top commercially available units. But in an objective analysis, it still doesn't measure up to a super 15 in attributes/value.

I get that you love it & your tone through it, which is great, & that's the bottom line for you.

2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Don't know, but with markups that are needed, I have a feeling that it may be quite a while before this happens.

3. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Which is why I'll get by on my 810 for now, I just don't have the time to build my own amp nor the money to pay someone else to make it for me. So the budget workhorse 810 it is.

4. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
  5. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Far, lighter??? - sure... produce better sound??? - I've yet to play another cab that sounds better than my PH810, and I've played most every high end cab on the market...

- georgestrings

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

When did bass players turn into suck a bunch of sissys??? - I must've missed the memo... You girls keep this up, and I might have to switch to drums, hahaha!!!

I'd expect this type of behaviour from a singer, but from bass players???

- georgestrings

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Sounds like you are assuming that light gear means a compromise in tone. For some tastes, that may be the case. For my taste, a 15/6 is not only lighter than a 410, but cleaner, deeper and clearer from 35Hz all the way up. (Same can be said of a 1515/66 compared to an 810). Lifting weight/doing work that's helpful and meaningful may be noble, but doing more work/lifting to achieve a lesser result (IMHO for my taste, of course) would be.........suboptimal in all respects:p.

Reminds me of the 2 bulls on the hill, 1 old and 1 young, looking down at a herd of milk cows. The young bull says to the old:"Let's run down there and inseminate us a coupla cows". The wiser one replies:"No, son, let's walk down and inseminate them all".:bassist::bassist:

So, if an 810 is the sound in your head and nothing else will do, kudos for hauling it. However, the OP said he bought a cab he has never heard, based on the fact that it's an 810. I'm eager to hear his post-honeymoon reviews in a couple of months, and wish he had had the opportunity to A/B it with a 1515/66.

8. 111 pounds isnt that bad. My 1515/66 weighs about 105, my tube head weighs about 98. Yeah you can get a full range super 215 way down in weight, you can get a 1515/66 sub 60 pounds if its made in composite. Mine is made of baltic birch. It weighs more than the super 215 cabs because there is more going on. Mid drivers, horn, cross over, heavy duty hardware, and a lot of bracing. As good as those new 215's are, and believe me I have GAS of my own for one (I dont need it, but I want it), the 1515/66 is a lot more cab. It goes lower, goes louder, and is less colored than the full range 215 cabs. If I feel like being a pansy I grab my 35 pound 15/6. Its more than enough cab for most things. There is replacement for displacement, so when needed out comes the big gun.

9. +100
    So much of this.

I had an 810 and it was a great cab. I could load it and unload it out of the truck by myself no problem. When it came to stairs it was a different story. If the 810 is the best cab you have heard, then you will believe it to be the best. I wish places like guitar center had things like 15/6's or 1515/66's, or properly designed and built 115 or 215 cabs with the 3015 or Faitals loaded in them. It would make A/Bing these new cabs versus the old designs. It would also hurt sales on those older designs. People would be going in there and saying, "gosh that 810 sounds good but the 215 is good if not better, and it only weighs 50 pounds. That is a one hand carry, so I should get two..."

10. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Ah. See? There lies the rub.

11. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...you can lead a horse to H2O...

12. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    I think you also have to give up IQ points to move to drums.

I started out moving a B3, a pair of custom-built 250W Leslies, a Fender Rhodes and a SuperBeatle on and off the bus. When I moved to guitar, I lightened up by carting around four 4x12s. These days I put casters on anything heavier than a ham sandwich. In the '70's, I played with bass players who had 8x10's. When I was asked to play some bass recently, I assumed that's the direction I'd be heading, too. But cabinets like those from BarefacedBass, EAD and fEARful made me hold off on buying a bass rig until I'd actually made the comparison. Now that I've done that, I really don't see the point of carting 130-150 lbs of cabinet around.

13. Sig worthy!

Exactly. My Peavey 810 tx was a fine cab, but I couldnt get it in and out of my practice space with out help. I can carry my 100 pound 1515/66 by my self up and down stairs.

14. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    111 is still pretty heavy in my book & very likely the book of lots of other guys, too, I'll suppose. Can I carry the weight of that 810? Well, yeah. By myself as well without really overly too much effort. But it begs the question...why?

Now, on the other hand, would I be willing to haul 105 lbs. around when it comes to a 1515/66 like yours? Yeah, I could rationalize that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still like lighter (although wouldn't pay for composite), & I think it could very likely be built lighter (while still being very structurally sound).

15. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Have you considered the GK Neo 412?

16. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Yes,, I will be interested to read my post after a few months of living with a blind purchase 8x10 cab,,,, I hope its a good review :D

Cheers
    Davyo

17. Can the cab be lighter? sure, but then you are paying for the luxury of the lighter materials. Also Hoffman's Iron Law dictates that you can only go so light with materials. At some point you start to give up something in order to achieve the lower weight. A 1515/66 is a lot of cab. The drivers put a lot of stress on the structure of the cab.

18. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes, it most surely is. And that's why I would be willing to carry t-h-i-s 105 lbs. if faced with an either/or choice.

19. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Gotta say, it's great to see a debate like this NOT spiraling into mean spirited, cutting comments...good job, fellas!

20. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    I'm sure it will be; they're excellent cabs. Especially in the absence of one of the newer designs to compare it to. It was my first choice at one point.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021