Thinking of getting an 8x10,,, talk me into it,, or talk me out of it ;)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    I'm currently trying to decide between a set of LineX coated plywood 15/6/1's (Ron Anchak's), which, if my experience with my own LineX coated cabs is any indication, will be able to be dropped off the side of a building without much harm, and a set of composites, which are very close in price, but which are probably 20 lbs lighter per cabinet. I would imagine that you give up a bit of impact strength in the center of panels of those particular builds, but I know how strong composites can be. I helped build both a LongEZE (Burt Rutan's revolutionary foam and fiberglass airplane) and a Lancair (very fast piston single-engine, largely carbon fiber). Some of those parts are astonishingly light. I don't really expect a structural problem with them at all.

2. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I agree that;
    A single 810 was ultimately an easier schlep than two 410's or whatever, at least for me.
    I'm not sure I can remember how many 810 and 410 cabs I've owned in my life. And they were the 'standard' for many years.

At one time, wooden wheels and horses and buggies were the standard too...some things really do improve with new innovations, materials, etc. A few people have changed the game forever for me after a/b'ing their cabs against the 'standards.'

greenboy
    Duke LeJuene
    Alex Claber
    Bill FitzMaurice

I'm an old punk rock dude in my 40's, but the weight of an 810 doesn't bother me a bit...I didn't choose my cabs because they're lighter, but I'm not bummed about it either :)

Some folks are slow to change, some 'listen' with their eyes...some think Guitar Center is the only place to get gear, and some simply like other stuff better.

That being said...bring ANY single cab you like to my studio in Nashville and place it next to a fEARful 1515/66/1...maybe there's a cab that'll come close, but I've never heard it :)

3. Yango

Yango Inactive

Apr 14, 2008
    The only question I'd ask you is: How's your back? Because hauling around a monster like that will most certainly take it's toll (whether you have someone to help you or not). And I speak from experience—I've mentioned here before that I used to gig an Ampeg V4 and V4B—my God, what a pain in the ass to move around... but on the other hand, it did indeed sound like Heavenly Thunder!

I now use a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 12 combo (with a 12 extension cab). The tone and volume coming out of this rig is unbelievable. I highly recommend that you check it out before jumping into the ring with a behemoth.

4. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I don't think 'advice' such as "an 810 is more than you'll ever need, unless you play stadiums" is very helpful to the OP...He knows what he wants and he knows big cabs are heavy. That's his business, not ours. Personally I tour with a rig that is 'more than I need' most nights...a couple nights ago, the club gig coulda worked with a much smaller rig, but tonight, it's an outdoor festival in Holland, and it won't be more than I need there :)

5. This. Every single one of my friends who has played through my fEARful's is floored. Most heads will crap out before these cabs reach their limits. IMO an all tube head and a fEARful rig is king of the heap.

The only issue I see to the fEARful's really breaking out, is the combination with tube heads that are only 2 or 4 Ohm stable. This limits cab choices to the 1212/6 and the 1515/6. The 1212/6 is probably enough cab for anyone, but I would hesitate to balance my heavy tube head on a cab with a much smaller foot print. The 1515/66 is a bigger foot print, but any dual 15 fEARful rig is going to crush, and may be more cab and too big of an investment for some to make. The 15/6 is just about right for volume/cost for many as a single cab rig, but at 8 Ohms it doesnt jive with the SVT-CL/VR crowd. This is a place where the AK Thunderchild may have an advantage. I dont know how an SVT-CL would sound through the AK-15, but the impedances line up. Once a single 15+mid driver super cab lines up with the SVT crowd, and gets some exposure. I think it will go crazy.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, and I always roll my eyes when I see the "more than you need, unless you're playing stadiums" line, because I've seen a ton of 810s grace the stage over the years, and still see them quite frequently...

- georgestrings

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

I'm not making any such assumption, to be honest - and I can't see where I've posted anything that would lead one to say so... I merely made a statement based on gigging a PH810 for nearly 2 years, and having played a ton of other gear as well... If you've never played thru one, check out what Tom Bowlus has to say on them...

- georgestrings

8. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Before I became a fEARful builder, I bought a TC115AF for that very reason...awesome little cab...for loud rock gigs, I can get a bit more mileage out of a 15/6/1. Goes a bit lower and louder, but the TC115 is a thing of beauty for sure :)

We're doing a 15/6/1tube with a 15sub for a customer who needs 4 ohms and the width...that's also an option. For smaller gigs, he'll just use his 15/6/1tube with a different head.

9. two 410 cabs are easier to carry!

10. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Naw...I'd rather load a big 'un once :)

11. Im sure it is, my problem is if I played through on, I would want to buy it.

The width is part of why I went with the 66. My thoughts regarding the SVT were that SVT guys love their SVT's and dont want to play through something else (just ask Jimmy!). If you could magically take a 15/6tube and make it 4 Ohms, I think a lot of SVT guys would love the combo as a one cab solution with their heads.

12. id rather go direct and be set up in less than 10 minutes... hahah :bag:

13. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    WINNING!

14. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Stay tuned :)

15. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I would really love to try one of these, but they've been slow to come to market and I'm not in the UK.:atoz:

16. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Last time I saw you, you said you were trying to lighten up. What happened? :D

Anyway, call me when you get it & I'll bring my 1001 RBII over for you to give it a go.

17. zanzibar jorge

zanzibar jorge

Sep 4, 2011
    Hmm. I live near Nashville and have never had the opportunity to hear one of those. Would you be willing to let me try yours out as I'm dwelling thru cab options for my v4b sometime in the near ish future?

18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    +1. I totally "get" that for many, the sound of an 810 (or other traditional cab config) is preferred over the fEarful/ nEarful thing. In the end the tone is subjective. The volume output and low end extension, however, can be objectively measured and the fearful wins by these criteria. Of course, if you don't dig the flattish response (as many don't), then the advantages of the newer design are moot. BTW, although I've never heard the PH810 I have heard the 610 and love it;)

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Not IME - I gigged 2 cabs for a few years, and switched to a 610, then later an 810 about 5 years ago - you couldn't pay me to switch back to two cabs...

- georgestrings

20. I couldnt pay you, but I dont have the right amount of money to get you to schlep two cabs. ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021