Thinking of getting an 8x10,,, talk me into it,, or talk me out of it ;)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davyo, Apr 29, 2012.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Again, not me - I spend less than 15 minutes loading in and out, but 4 hours playing thru my rig... I'd much rather play thru something I like than settle for less - and a DI only gig is not my idea of fun... To each their own, though...

- georgestrings

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Let's put it this way - even as good as the PH610 sounds, once I got my PH810, the PH610 I had never saw another gig... I sold the PH610, and bought a PH215 to have as another tonal option... The PH810's horn sounds smoother - probably due to having another pair of 10s on top of it, and it's just a warmer, smoother, deeper sounding cab - yet, very clear voiced... I have never been able to make it fart out, and when pushed by my M-p 600 or 700rb-II, it can get way louder than I could ever need - including in a loud rock band with a Triple Rec halfstack on either side of the drummer, which has been my band situation for the last 3 years... I never have a problem hearing myself with this rig, and it kinda keeps my gui****s somewhat under control - under the threat of "mutually assured destruction" - hahaha!!!

In the end, it's all good as long as each player has what they want or need - I'm good to go...

- georgestrings

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

An 810 is just too big for me now.

I find a 410 is more than enough for everything I do. If I do a big outdoor show, I will bring the 410 and another 210 or 115.

To each their own.

P.s. most 810's have a tilt back and casters..... They are surprisingly easy to move up and down stairs, load into most cars that have folding rear seats, etc.

4. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    As a 6'5" dude who had to bend way over to lift or move a 24" high, 95-lb. 410 (since sold for the tilt-back NV610), I firmly disagree!

5. Im 5'9" and I say to hell with two cabs in the 90-100 pound range. If i'm going to bring a cab that heavy, its only one and its on tilt back casters too.

6. tarafran

tarafran

Mar 22, 2010
    Key west
    Endorsing Artist: GHS strings
    I still have a 2X10 Neo Eden in my minivan next to the GK neo 8x10. In 3 month I never took it out:D, both have the same footprint , but the 8X10 is easier on my back , looks mean on stage:bassist:

7. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Hey Vince,,,,,, yea,,, I was saying I was going lighter when I came out to see your band,, but then I made the mistake of checkin out a few 4x10 cabs and an Ampeg 810 cab at the local stores.

I was sold on getting an 4x10 but then started thinking about dead lifting a 4x10 for all the load in's and out's, as well as the dead lifting for stacking if I decided to get another 4x10,,,, that led me to what I feel will be a much faster easier fix,, an 8x10 cab,,, just tilt it in and out of my mini van (HHR panel truck) and roll the 8x10 around on its own casters,,,, not to mention wheeling an 8x10 will be easier than bending over while rolling a 4x10 cab.

So in a way,,,, I am going lighter :D,,,, no more hauling a lifting 2 cabs like I have been doing.

On a side note,,,, when I play at Vamped this Fri night I will probaly be using the club backline (SVT 810 rig) so you wont get to hear the GK 810 just yet,,,,,, you will be coming to my gig this Fri right ???,,,,,, I mean I do come to all your gigs and support (blackmail time) :D

Hope all is great with you my friend.

Cheers
    Davyo

8. Schpector

Schpector

Jan 31, 2012
    Macon, GA
    Two 15s is superior in performance to an 810 because it is not ideal to have drivers side by side or in a "square". Vertically aligned drivers results in less frequency cancellation and better midrange dispersion. Your bass will sound more uniform, regardless of where an audience member is standing in the venue.

9. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i understand the theory behind this, but my experience tells me otherwise.
    i have a mesa RR 215 and with my svtII i was getting buried by the drummer, guitar and other bass player, that was with the 215 basically pointed at the drummers head :D

i picked up an old ampeg 810 for cheap of CL and started using that. everyone including myself can hear me better. that's using the same head, same pedals inline, same bass...

this might sound crazy to some of you guys but we like to play places sometimes where there is no PA support for the guitars and basses :eyebrow:

sounds to me like lots of you guys are trying to list the negative aspects of using an 810, like moving it around, when you probably haven't even used one.
    in reality it's easier to haul around than a 410. slide it in and out of the car or van, tilt it and pull it along. no pulling one side to pop the front wheels over some bumps or whatever. hauling an 810 is a breeze.

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Not to me.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

In theory, what you're saying is true - however, in real life, it isn't always the case... See if you can guess how I came to that conclusion:

IMAG0573.jpg

12. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    For std market cabs its Definatly not the case. Any 810 eats 2x15's . There's just more speaker area. I'm a 15 fan but will take an 8x10 over one any day. I'm sure the fearful designs are a bit different, but they don't make an 8x10.

Personally, the whole reason I like the svt 810 is the tone. It's not the perfect engineering masterpiece, but what it does, it does it in spades. Accident or not, the 4 chamber sealed 8x10's have the roll off and bumps in all the right places for bass imo. They don't let you get in trouble down too low, and the high roll off is perfect for a little string noise and buzz. There are more hi fi cabs out there for sure, but they don't sound like an svt.

4x10 vs 8x10, having both, I find the 8x10 easier to move. You don't lift it and you don't bend over with it, just tilt it back and go. Now if you have a lot of stairs, its not fun, but still better on the back than lifting a 4x10. Just my .02

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Agreed...

- georgestrings

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, pretty much - I'd say that a good 215 will usually hang with a good 610, but a good 810 will usually outperform it...

- georgestrings

15. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I'm going to recommend the Heritage 8x10. I've had mine for about 3 months now,played about 10 shows with it,and I can't imagine using anything else.Plenty of volume,great tone,and it's not difficult to move at all.

16. gsusmood

gsusmood

Apr 18, 2012
    IMO, If you plan on tour and have a trailer for Haul the band gear and merch then a 810 is the best way to handle for roadie and merch guy One piece of box, caster, if not a ATA Case, "headroom" or volume since you have 8 speakers in horizontal you'll hear more from you.. Thinking if you do tour, and 810 is pretty much the standard in Rock med to big stages (warped tour) ext... Am planing next year get an GK 810 for tour.

17. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    I've had an Ampeg 810e cab now for about a year and it is the best piece of gear I have ever bought!

18. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Have you looked into the Bergantino NV610? Ampeg like tone in an easier to move format.

19. Schpector

Schpector

Jan 31, 2012
    Macon, GA
    I wasn't saying that a 215 will handle more power than an 810.

It has just been that, my experience (and scientifically supported data), says that vertically aligned drivers result in a more uniform sound throughout the venue than drivers being aligned side by side as they are in an 810. Some bass players don't care/notice this difference, so it doesn't always matter.

What this means is that, standing to the left of an 810 will sound different than standing directly in front of it. Standing to the left of a 215 will sound different than standing directly in front of it, but the difference won't be as pronounced as with an 810 (or 410, or 412, or whatever). Also, certain notes/frequencies will be louder than others with an 810. Not so much with a 215. It will be more uniform.

This is why I support the posters who have advised the OP to go with this setup vs. an 810. But when it boils down to it, it is personal preference and the OP should get what he likes most, regardless of what we think.

20. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    So the folks that dont own a 810 are telling the folks that do own a 810 how hard an 810 is to move, even though the folks that do own an 810 are telling those that dont own an 810 that they are easy to move.

Did I get that right :D

Cheers
    Davyo

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021