Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of getting an ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Apr 8, 2001.

1. Hey. I'm getting bored with the tone of my hartke. I'm thinking of maybe trading it and getting an Ampeg head. What would you suggest. I don't really want to spend much. I'll be trading my HA3500. I've had it for about 9 months now. How much could I get for it and what would be a good Ampeg? I've been thinking about the B2R but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Thanks ahead of time!

2. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    try it u might like it,very inexpensive but pretty good,i have one going thru a goliath2 4'10 cab.pls don't kickmeintheballs.lol

3. Nah, you're spared because you've given me an opinion! :D the others won't be spared if they don't answer sooN! hehe j/k. ;) I'll be using it with my Genz Benz 212t-xb.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm a big fan of Ampeg & think the B2R is a very, very good head for the money. Do your self a favor. Compare the Hartke to the Ampeg goinr through the same cabinet & the same bass. Only then you will know if you like the Ampeg over the Hartke. Good luck.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you are bored of Hartke tone, i sure wouldn't try Ampeg. Not exactly exciting tone. Kinda bland. And yes, i own one.

Why not look at something like SWR or Eden, used?

6. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Take what nino said a step further.Try as many heads as you can with YOUR bass and cab(s).Thats your best bet.Besides,who knows.Maybe its not the head your bored with.Good luck!

7. DaRange

DaRange

Mar 12, 2001
    Minneapolis MN.
    I'm using a b2 in a 4 8" combo with a extra cabinet with a 15" jbl the sound is good until you start to push it. it runs out of head room real fast. I'm looking at replacing it with an ashdown 500 or a mesa boogie m 600. it just dose not have enought power. try out some thing bigger you can't have too much power.