Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of getting an essex!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JJd2sc, Aug 28, 2003.

1. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I got a 150 dollars to spend, and Im thinking of getting a cheap fretless to play around with. Ill get some more money and drop in some bart pups later im sure, but how do they sound with no mods? Ive heard some good stuff about them here but Ive never gotten the chance to try one. I play a roscoe and an 83' ray as my two main. Would this get a decent enough fretless tone to my ear? Im just worried that if I ebay one, i wont like the tone of it because I am so used to the great tone my other two. Advice?

2. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Oh yeah, do they make unlined?

3. The essex basses are a dream and a total steal. You might want to look around on the Essex Megathread for opinions/answers to questions. I have an Essex BG205 (not listed on site anymore because I got one of the last ones and their sold out) and I'm loving it :) As for if there are unlined fretless - No - Or atleast not to my knowledge. It would probably be worth it to save up for one of the Brice ones (like $50, then you have to factor in shipping ;)) and get an unlined fretless if that is how you want it.

Just my .02, good luck and have fun when you get one :) ~ Tyler

4. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    No unlined? Ick:\ Also, on their site they have SX and essex for the same price... Is that the same brand? What are the differences?

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    There's no unlined because they're geared toward beginners. SX and Essex are the same.

6. They are "geared" toward beginners, but don't let that make you think that are ONLY for beginners. There are some TBers who have been playing for a while that buy them :)

But if you truly want an unlined, save up for the Brice ones and get an unlined. Better than getting a lined one that you don't want as much and feel bad about not waiting for the Brice everytime you play it ;) ~ Tyler

7. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Thing with that is, Ive never heard much about brice basses, but Ive heard good things about essexs. Ive played upright for 6 years so my intonation is good enough, but maybe i should go for the lined anyway. I dont really wanna spend 140 on the core bass itself (without mods).

8. I've heard just as good thinks about the Brices as the Essex basses. I believe there are some posts about the Brice basses on the Essex megathread (that thread is basically about all the basses at www.rondomusic.bigstep.com). Might want to read up on that. Or if you don't feel comfortable getting one, then save up and get a different fretless bass. ~ Tyler

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've been playing for 17 years and I own 3 SXs. :bassist: They're a very good value.

10. Thanks for backing what I said :) What ones you got btw (sorry to de-rail this thread a lil) ~ Tyler

11. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Ive never played one, so im still a little wary of how it will sound compared to my other 2:\

12. What are your other two basses??

13. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    As stated in first post, a roscoe and an 83' Ernie Ball stingray. :)

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Your other basses cost 7-10x as much as an SX, so do not expect miracles. That said, I think they sound good w/ stock pups. I am not changing mine, but someday I may put in an onboard pre because I like active basses.

15. I might throw some active EMGs into mine and get a nice onboard pre-amp, but that will be in the near future after a couple more expensive, but needed, things are purchased :)

16. Ty I like my EMGs....that on an Essex could be quite a killer affordable bass....:D

17. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Kurt, who is THE MAN at Rondo and contributes a lot of good info about the stuff he sells, generally states that the Brice brand is a "better" bass than the Essex.

There are many people on the board who find that their SX or Essex(notice that it sounds the same)sound just fine as is. I know we have a resident pro who uses his Essex Jazz bass bone stock for recording and such.

I played my Essex jazz last night and was digging it totally. And to think I almost sold it due to my dependence on the 5 string.

K

18. yeah, these humbucker pups in it already do some damage man, but some EMGs! Damn dat would rule.

Cant believe you almost did...

But anyways, back to the topic of choice here, go with what you feel is the best decision! Don't let everyone pressure you into getting a bass you don't want. ~ Tyler

19. Well SMASH, that's why its my opinion :):) Great how we can all talk like that huh?? ~ Tyler

P.S. Sorry if it sounded a bit rude, not intended ;)