1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thinking of getting an octave pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Oct 2, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I was wanting to get an octave pedal so i can drop my sound down an octave for certain parts of some songs. I'm curios on how this would work and what to go with as far as best for the money?

2. Substituting a five string with an octave pedal is not the way to go if that's what you trying to do. It will not sound natural and will sound very artificial.

I recommend this pedal, the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. Watch this video and look at how he uses the pedal and what situations he uses it.

3. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    A lot of people like the BOD, but I hated it. For an occasional low note I'd suggest BOSS OC-3, Poly mode with the guitar input. Fairly smooth sounding as far as octave pedals go and the OC-3 is forgiving of technique in Poly mode. Thus, less glitching.

It's not going to work as well as a five string, but if you must, this is what I recommend.

4. How low are you planning on playing when you do the octave-down thing. Octave pedals largely fall into two places, analog and digital. A large majority of the digital-based pedals colour your sound making it sound well, digital...and organ-y in nature. Analog sound more natural, but they have a tendency to crap out below a point - usually between F and A on the E string - it varies by report from player to player and pedal to pedal. If you are a clean player, it helps - two things help maintain the integrity of the lower octave: clean, precise playing and not holding notes for too long. Mind you, this is my opinion, somebody else will invariably post behind me and say differently, so checking out clips and the pedals yourself will yield the best results in your search.

If you are allowed in the TB Wiki (look at the top of the page) - b/c I don't know if non-supporting members are or are not - there is an effects section there with lots of clips. Good place as any to start your research!

Good luck!

5. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Yup, non-supporting members are allowed.

I posted a bunch of MXR BOD clips on that wiki.

6. ^^ Thanks Robertron -never know what is and what isn't allowed...

7. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I plan to use a 5er when I can afford one however I still would like the octave pedal for certain situations. Mainly when my guitarist uses his distortion pedal or parts where I want to drop down an octave to REALLY punch it.

I mainly play 8th notes though

8. I think the MXR is a great pedal but I distintly remember liking the sound of the EBS more for the kind of use you want .

9. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet?

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    Best for the money may be the Boss OC-2 I tried it but didn't like it but lots of people do. You can usually pick one up used for about $50 used.

10. khabalah

khabalah

Aug 3, 2010
    London
    Boss OC-2 all the way..

11. Boss OC-2 is really good value, but if you can swing it try out the EBS Octabass. I have, and like, both but if I absolutely HAD to choose only one, I'd take the EBS.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021