Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of getting my first Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flywheel, Aug 25, 2004.

1. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I love my 1991 Stingray. It has great birdseye on the neck, a muted bridge w/ mutes perfectly intact and plays like a dream. However, I just don't like the teal thing much anymore... dunno why. So... I've been thinking a lot about selling her and picking up this beauty of a Sterling I've got my eye on. Think I'll like the Sterling as much as a Ray? I really like the idea of having a jazz neck but I'm not the biggest fan of the smaller body.

Wish EB made a bass w/ Stingray body and Sterling neck!

2. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Keep in mind you're talking to Mr. Teal here; I assume you've played the Sterling through an amp at a decent volume. Because then you'd know it's not going to sound like a Ray. I have both and prefer the sound of the Ray, but the playability of the Sterling. I play the Sterling almost exclusively. Call me a wimp, but the skinny neck just feels better in my hand, and even though I'm tall, the smaller body just fits me like a glove. Answer? Keep the Ray and buy the Sterling.

3. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I also have two other Rays... that's the only reason I'm thinking of letting the Teal one go. Still unsure though. I haven't played a Sterling thru my rig. This bass will be coming from Seattle if I get it so I can't really play it before hand.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    You know what I'm going to say, don't you?

So I'm not going to say it, because you already know.

5. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I own one of each myself. I like the Sterling for exactly the reasons JBM said. It's not as rumblin' as the Ray, but still has a great sound. Seems to me that having more options in terms of basses is not a bad thing.

6. I love my 'ray, don't that any sterling can be as comfortable than this fine piece of wood., but this is my opinion. I say: get the bass which neck fits the best for you

7. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    But Jack...The Bongo doesn't have that Jazz Bass feel to the neck does it? My thinking was that I would get a bass that felt a little easier to play at certain times... but I do have my Ibanez Roadstar that has the Jazz type neck.

Maybe the Bongo IS the next step

8. can't you swap the muted bridge on the teal one for the bridge on one of your others so you can keep the mutes and jetison the teal?

robb.

9. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    no...that wouldn't be right. First, the serial is on the bridge on all my Rays. My '92 has mutes also, and my '96 is the "trans" bridge that has studs in place of the mutes, so it's basically the same bridge except I actually like it a little better because EB had modded the bridge by this point to straighten the string angle over the saddles. Everything's original on my Rays and I'll always keep it that way. I would never even add a hipshot.

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    But of course it is. It's not quite a Stingray feel to the neck, smaller and sleeker....not quite a Sterling, more substantial than that.....go try one.

You'll see.

11. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Shhh, wait, I have the answer everyone......... L-2000 with #6 or #8 neck. That size ash body has all the meat and potaters your heart could desire.

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Here's a photo of my EBMM Sterling fretless. Hard to believe that it's over 10 years old! :eek: They're great basses for the price....especially if you're into the Music Man thing. They still sound like Music Man basses, in my opinion, but the sleeker neck and lighter weight body make them more gig-friendly....especially if you're a jazz bass fan, too. ;)

13. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS