1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking of getting the Ampeg V-4B, what cabs are best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Billy Dutton, Aug 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Billy Dutton

Billy Dutton

Jul 19, 2015
    OK, after way too much chewing on this, I am thinking of replacing my current gig rig.....a 1970's Plush 1060-s with it's 215 cab with an Ampeg V-4B and "possibly" 2 X 115 cabs. Maybe the discontinued Mesa Powerhouse Traditional cabs. Play 3-4 gigs a month in a Grateful Dead Tribute band. Don't need to drag this rig to practice as I have a rig that stays at our practice facility. Also, I play a 4001 Ric with LaBella Flats. Love a warm round thump.....that's why I play the bass!

So, what is everyone else running with their V-4B? Bonus points if you include a pic ;-)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    SactoBass and armyadarkness like this.
  2. I'd go either Mesa Subway 115s, Fender Bassman Pro Neo 115s, Ampeg SVT212/s.
    Ive got 2 Bassman 115s and they sound great with the V4B, and get a lotta volume outta it too. Dunno the specs, but I seem to get more volume outta the V4B thru the 2 Bassman 115s than they the SVT810E

Peter Guthrie likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I run mine when I use it with one or two SVT 210av's, although if I were you, I probably wouldn't use them since you seem to be way more into the 15's. You might check into the SVT 112av's or even the SVT 115e's.

4. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I've got a vintage V4 4x12 cabinet loaded with new 4 Ohm Eminence Basslite S2012s. The pair sound huge!

Like JimmyM said, I also have a pair of SVT210AVs as well. They also sound very good, but the 4x12 is by far my favorite. Together though... :bassist:

IMG_1816.JPG IMG_1819.JPG

Engle, Raw N Low and Bass Butcher like this.
  5. fdbishop1

fdbishop1

Mar 14, 2016
    Svt 112 over here , absolutely love it. I owned a svt 212 and it was amazing, just honestly more than I needed so I made the judgment call to downsize. AB06D5AC-F852-4AB4-A109-BBCEC3E879EE.

6. Billy Dutton

Billy Dutton

Jul 19, 2015
    LOVE the Subway 115's but they are only 19 inches wide, the V-4B needs a 24 inch wide landing pad.
    The 212 AV cabs from Ampeg are sharp looking with the head and might get there tone wise for me, I need to find a place to play them. Have yet to find a retailer in Phoenix that has one on the floor. I wonder if Ampeg has a showroom anywhere in the Southwest (maybe in Calabasas), anyone know?

7. Billy Dutton

Billy Dutton

Jul 19, 2015
    Yep, the STV 115e is in consideration, need to play it too. I'm really scratching my head on the Ampeg Pro Neo's not being 24" wide so they matched up with their "light weight" V-4B and all their SVT cabs, that would seem like a no brainer. I say the guy who made that design decision should have to clean out the company fridge every Friday for the rest of the year!

Andre678 likes this.
  8. Billy Dutton

Billy Dutton

Jul 19, 2015
    Down size? Are you playing any gigs right now? I was thinking if I did go with the AV 12's that I would go with both the 122 and the 212 to give me options...stacking the two for large gigs. Looking forwad to hearing them for sure. Your rig looks sweet....I need to try the 12's fo sure!

9. Billy Dutton

Billy Dutton

Jul 19, 2015
    The 412 must sound great. I am now starting to seriously consider the 212/112 AV stack option....

CTBassGuy likes this.
  10. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    The Fender Bassman 115 Neos are 26" wide, and are very nice - I picked one up recently, and will probably grab another... FWIW, I traded in a Mesa PH115 to get the Bassman cab - weight reduction was part of it, the other part was cosmetics: I wanted it to match up with my Rumble 200 Combo, and also to pair up with my Super Twin, which is 26" wide: Fender Super Twin + Bassman 115 Neo(2).JPG

The Super Twin headcase isn't finished yet - I still have to put the tolex on, and corners, and I've got some silver face grill cloth for it, but you get the idea...

rodl2005 likes this.
  11. fdbishop1

fdbishop1

Mar 14, 2016
    Yup, I play out about once a week. Most of my gigs are dive bars, or have PA support so the 112 does the trick. The band I am in leans to the Americana side of things , does mostly originals , but some outlaw country/ 90s covers as well. Drummer is moderate , guitar players use a vox ac15/30 and a fender blues deluxe.

12. 88457964-CC90-4232-A844-7574F120CF78. Running the SVT 212 AV. Not gonna fix what ain’t broke.

Marc

13. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    That’s such a great rig.

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well if it makes you feel better, the person or people who did that no longer work for Ampeg now that Yamaha owns them :D

Ed Byrnes likes this.
  15. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    OK..you are not going to hear about these from other people..they want to tell you about the common everyday average stuff that is so overdone..these are Hi Tone cabinets..they are hand made one at a time..and hand wired..and can be customized..this is the 4x12 cabinet..other configurations are available..these are souped up versions of the Hi Watt bass cabinets that were around in the 60's ..John Entwistle and others used Hi Watt cabs..these Hi Tone cabs are the real deal..and nothing out there can touch these cabs for performance..its all about power and chiming of tones..when you see and hear these..your jaw will drop..and everybody else will wish they owned these..............OK..so wheres my stinkin' bonus points..?...............HT412 Bass Cabinet - Hi-tone Amplification.............and just gonna edit my post..I have two Hi Tone cabs and they are great..mine have the fane purples for speakers..they are the DR-F model 125161's as the cabs are custom built you can have anything you want loaded in..I still use my ampeg SVT HLF 4x10 cabs (two)..not going to give these up..also have an ampeg 8x10 cab..the Hi Tones were just an extra I bought for a change up..there are a lot of good speaker cabs out there that can please anyones delight..I also like the greenboy fearless..for many years before I got the ampegs..I played through some old vintage sunn cabinets from the hendrix woodstock era..I have also used the fender cabs in the past..which have an excellant tone to my ear..but they just dont keep up with with the ampegs and the Hi Tones..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  16. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    This is so cool. Looks like they've reissued some WEM designs as well. Good news if you are in a Pink Floyd tribute band and you have money to burn. WEM 412 cabs do not come up very often.

I'm guessing these aren't the cab for everybody, but I'm guessing they are the last word on shallow, un-ported 412 bass cabs?

17. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    I seriously thought about the svt212av before I found my V4.

Main thing to keep in mind here is that the 2 cabs will present 2.67 ohms to the V4B (112 is 8 ohm and 212 is 4 ohm). The V4B should be OK with that, but it is an impedance mismatch.

Others here will have to weigh in on how OK it is, which tap to use etc. I just never really got it straight...

18. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Seems pretty over priced for what you're getting, IMO - Eminence Beta drivers and an MDF back panel for over $1k? - no thanks...

19. armyadarkness

armyadarkness Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2012
    NJ Bayou Country
    Two SVT 212's in the recording studio and a Mesa PH 412 in the rehearsal studio. The can is for scale.
    20180716_164247.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Raw N Low and Moosehead1966 like this.
  20. Just go for it and get an Ampeg 810 (I did!)! You know you want to! LOL

Never lacking for volume, even with a V4B!

That being said, my FIRST amp ever was a V4B and a 215 cab. I used to think it was an Ampeg, but found out from my guitarist (after investigating many old band photos/dates) that it was a Traynor cab. Still, with a pair of 15" Peavey Scorpions in that thing, the V4B (and my later V2!) could both rattle the fillings!