Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of giving it up

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Sep 19, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I suppose I already know what most of the responses are going to be, but I figured I'd put my scenario out there.

I love bass, or should I say, I admire it, but I don't love playing it anymore. I've been playing for about 4 years, and I feel like I only really enjoyed it for the first year and a half. After that it seems like I've just been going through the motions. I get inspired by bass players on ocassion, but then as soon as I get my bass near me, I lose the inspiration. I don't have the focus to practice or to even play along with music any more. I know that most would say that I should take a break, but that's the thing.. I've been on a break basically for almost 2 years, with no real change.

To make things more complicated, I'm also a drummer. I've have my times with that where I've gotten frustrated and gone away from the instrument, either not played for months, or once I did sell my kit and didn't play for a year and a half. But, I've started to come back to it and while I used to think of bass as my real instrument because there was no physical barrier "holding me back", I'm starting to feel like drums is my real instrument. That I just have more of a connection to it. I know that I'm more interested in learning new things with the drums and actually practicing. For me it also is sort of a constant physical accomplishment that I always want to try and get over.

I guess what it comes down to, and the point of my ramble, is that I want to get good at atleast one instrument in my life, where I can be proud of what I do. I just know that between my interest level and time, I personally can't do both. It's either one or the other. If I focus my energy on the drums, the bass will just sit there, never get played, and I won't get any better. I just don't see the point of owning a bass, especially a more expensive one like my Read, if I'm just going to plunk around on it for 15 minutes once in a while, not learn anything new, and put it back. I could use the money for other things and my mind just needs to be focused on one thing.

2. Just curious, what did you think the responses would be? (You said you had a fair idea)

But, IMO... If you don't enjoy it anymore, it's definetly not worth it to keep going... Unless you play bass as your main source of income, then thats a different story... But if you play bass as a hobby (of sorts) there really is no point to keep playing when you've lost the interest

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'll gine all your basses a good home. Just send them my way... :D

I don't know, it's hard to say that that is the right decision. If it doesn't speak to you, then I guess you should find something that does, eh? Maybe you just need to find the thing that can make you fall in love with it again.

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    "Don't give up, everyone has a bad day", basically :)

5. Yea, thats what I thought you might say... which I don't really agree with, you say you lost the spark 2 or more years ago... The way I figure it, if nothing has rekindled your love of bass in that time, surely it wasn't meant to be :(

6. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    That's what I feeling..but it's hard to decipher a feeling you have toward the instrument after playing it for so long, an appreciate you have towards it in general, and the feeling you get what you REALLY want to play the instrument.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Put the bass down for a while, focus on drums, but keep your bass! You never know what you may need your bass for, later.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Fourstringdrums, you're blessed to play two instruments. Keep a bass, but concentrate on drums. If the bass gets you interested again, you will have one around, or maybe you just might want one for a recording project somewhere down the line.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Learn how to spell, and get a SM before you start begging for stuff you hoser!! :D

-Mike

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have never had any of those feelings about my bass. I strated playing at the suggestion of my buddies. When we all stopped playing, so did I. I still have almost $3K worth of gear just sitting around in boxes in my den. I want to sell it, but I don't want to go through the hassle of buying it all over again if I decide to play again.

-Mike

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Don't back-sass me, mike. I'll put rotten mayonaise in your shoes. And that will be unpleasant. Especially when you try to wear them.

Anyways, I supported for 2 years. I am going to again soo, but I need a break from nonsqtr in TPA! That guy can TYPE a LOTTT!!!

12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I can identify with this to a lesser extent. A month ago, I didn't play my bass for a week. Doesn't sound extreme, but in seven years, this had never happened. So I started to listen to more jazz and learn jazz chords on guitar. Now I am learning more about how to play jazz on bass. I also set up a jam session with a good friend that I hadn't played with in 8 months. Now I'm back to playing every day for over an hour, at the least.

I figured out that I was just stuck in a rut, so I started to learn the stuff I should have known years ago, such as scales and theory. Doesn't sound exciting, but I am actually enjoying it.

Maybe you need to try a different genre of music and playing.

You might have just totally lost interest, but don't sell everything just yet. Hold on to one bass just in case you change your mind later. Good luck with the drums.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hehehe. Every so often, I will wander into TPA to see what is up. It looks like TPA is that dudes personal forum. I can't keep up with all of it.

You did miss a funny picture I posted over in the Lounge though. I'll PM you a link to it. It isn't offensive, but it could be considered political.

-Mike

14. Think in terms of MUSIC instead of playing an instrument ie: there is alot've time that I play without the bass like training my ear sightreading rhythms which you can do on the drums as well because all the instrument really is the output ( kinda ) or learning theory both by imagining the fretboard in my mind as well as doing it on paper and not forgetting the instrument
    So you can just spend 15mins a day on technique with the bass put practice MUSIC which really you can learn without an instrument You DIG so don't be hard on yourself concentrate on the Music

15. Stop thinking about it, just do what's make you feel happy.

Don't forget that happiness its all about in life.

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well I think I decided what to do. I'm going to sell my Read (the only bass I have), but I'm going to keep my amp just in case I ever jam with a bass player or I decide to get back into it. In which case, then I can just get an Essex or a decent bass (new or used) for a few hundred $$. That way it won't break the bank to get back into it, I'll only have to buy a bass, not an amp and a bass, and I will have a bass that, while it's good, I won't feel so bad about not playing it if I fall back out. Right now the $$ that the Read could bring I can put back into other things.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Personally, I'm very happy, despite living what many would consider an unfulfilled and/or lame life. I'm happy, content, and fulfilled. That's enough for me, now if only people'd stop getting on my ass to actually do 'something' with my life.

18. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Same here.

19. My take is that musicians who play more than one instrument (piano, bass, drums, strings, etc.) are more likely to give up one of them along the way. I've seen that happen more than a few times. Ultimately, I think most all of us have to find the instrument that becomes your life experience with music.

I got discouraged and quit playing in 1981, and sold all my gear, stupidly. I would give anything to have the BC Rich Eagle and the '73 Jazz back! The Peavey amps, nah.

I got back into bass in 1983 and have never looked back. I should never have stopped playing, in hindsight. Perhaps you'll have a comparable experience, fourstringdrums.

20. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    My Read (bass in my Avatar) is up for sale now in the classifieds forum.

I really only started playing bass after I got frustrated with drums and quit playing for about a year. I think i wanted an instrument that I didn't have to overcome physically, that I could just learn how to play. Now that I'm more accepting of what I can and can't do on the drums, I'm wanting to go back to what I've been wanting to do since I was 8.