Thinking of giving up after 1 year

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike 257, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    Well Im not happy about this but I feel like Im giving up after just one year of practice . For the first 10 months I picked up my bass everyday and practiced but the past two months I notice Im not so interested . This realy sucks because I love my bass but now all I do it stare at it when Im watching tv .

2. Don't give up just yet. I know sometimes I get into 'off' periods where I wont practice for a while so maybe you are having one of those. Just try to stay motivated!

3. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    Don't sweat it... Wanna watch TV? Grab your bass. If you hear a catchy line on a commercial, try to replicate that on your bass. Also, while you watch TV, practice 2 (or 3, or 4) finger plucking, crossing strings at various speeds.

When your rut is over you'll be glad you didn't drop your hobby and you'll be further along.

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Sell it to someone who'll play it then.

5. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    That is pretty much what I do and sometimes I hear a song while driving home from work and it gets me motivated, I was just worried because I havent been picking it up everyday like I was in the past .

6. untamedhellion

untamedhellion

Jun 25, 2011
    Hey Hoss,

Don't give up....I switched from bass to guitar and now I'm back to playing bass.

Just pull up a chunk of couch and play bass while watching the idiot box!!!!!

Untamed

7. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    That is just crazy talk.

8. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I felt this way too.

The solution is to play with people, playing by yourself is only fun for so long. You can learn so much more playing with people than you could playing by yourself.

Find some friends who play, your school, church, job, anywhere and get jamming with other people, and do it soon!

Find some friends, pick some songs, boom you got a band. Even if you're a terrible band it's still a ton of fun and it was the only thing that kept me going and I'm glad I did it!

9. I've gone through this a number of times in 14 yrs of bass playing....my advice is to take a break, don't play for a while and see if you miss it....every time I do this I come back fresh and inspired.....if you don't miss it it's time to move on to keyboards or join a bowling league.

10. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    Don't worry about it. I'll dare say that even the most seasoned here will tell you that it (the motivation) comes and goes with the seasons.

Stick to it, bro. In the long run you'll be glad you did.

:bassist:

Edited: Gotta go. I'm going to watch "Wrath of the Titans" with my kids... bass on my lap. :)

11. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    It happens..........after 8 years of playing , non stop all the time and being in bands i have hit a bit of a burn out. Its been about a month since i played bass seriously, lately its been 5 minutes here and there, its good to take a break occasionally.

12. Join a band and have fun with your friends! :)

13. davrip

davrip

Jun 30, 2012
    I think it's natural.

The body and mind needs a rest from study and a chance to "Freshen up".

That's why sportsmen have an "Off season".

When the urge comes back, you will be ready to go and have 10 months
    knowledge already!

I am progressing at a snail's pace, but even on days when I don't feel like
    it, force myself to practice for at least half an hour working on a proper
    lesson or technique.

I think that works better than random 10 hour sessions when you are "into it"
    and then nothing for a few days.

Good luck!

14. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    Another thing that is making me lean toward giving it up is that I need money to buy something else that I want and selling my bass would give me a good chunk of money. The thing is that in a few months I will have the money I need for my other toy but Im impatient . Im not going to make the same mistake I did in the past of selling things then regretting it .

15. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This.

I learned so much by playing with others that its just...silly. :D

16. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    Thanks guys for the advise , Im gonna stick with it .

17. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    los angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Playing bass is like sex - the amount of fun is limited when you're by yourself.

18. Mike 257

Mike 257

Mar 8, 2011
    KCMO
    Now that's an analogy I can relate to :D

19. morgansterne

morgansterne a subtle lift provider on the other side Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    don't sell your bass. sell your tv

20. FrednBass

FrednBass