1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking of going from pedals to multi

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 254 stringer, Aug 5, 2012.

1. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    I have a collection of pedals and most of them don't really get any use. I am thinking of going to a multi and selling off my collection nothing I'm selling is anything that can't be replaced if i miss it. I have mxr delay, chorus, phaser, flanger, and the BOD. I have ehx stereo pulsar and freeze and an ernie ball volume. I am looking at either the Zoom B3 or Line 6 M9. Any suggestions or any other Multi units that i should look at.

2. Both get a lot of love on here but I haven't used either. Why don't they get much use? Do you not like the sounds or do you just not need the sounds you're getting from your pedals?

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP. Personally, I like the effects I have, but I just never use them. Part of that is because of how much of a hassle they can be to set up. I also don't like the fact that I have to reset the knobs every time I play. I'd rather have a multi with saved presets that I can tweak on the fly if needed.

4. Are they on a pedal board? For me, I just have to pull the board out of my case and plug it in. Same deal with a multi right? My knobs don't ever change either...

5. Rawrrbass

Rawrrbass

Mar 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I've never used the Zoom B3, but I'm a huge fan of the Line6 M9. It could easily replace most of my pedalboard in a pinch. I'm not a huge fan of the dirt tones it has, but it has alot of useable patches. Well worth it IMO, especially if you can find one used.

6. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Yup, on a board, but the knobs still get knocked around. It's frustrating for me because I use quite a bit of mod and delay whenever I do use effects, and having those get knocked around can make the effect not lineup right with a line. Of course, that's just me being picky, but I'd rather not have to deal with that issue whenever possible. Unfortunately for me, that just means I'll leave the board at home instead of bringing it out.

7. Ahh, got it. Yeah that would be a PIA. :(

8. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    I like the sound i get from my pedals but the band I'm in right now i just don't use but a couple of the ones I listed. I do have a board but I have several dirt pedals that I will not get rid of and want to have more options with other effects. Just because I don't use my flanger or tremolo now I would still like to have the option without redesigning my board if that makes sense.

9. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    While not cheap the Eventide pedals (modfactor, pitchfactor, timefactor, space) cover an incredible amount of ground. I took the plunge with the Modfactor and I'm still amazed at all the fun I'm having with it. I haven't even added the expression pedal yet either. I may just drink the Eventide kool-aid and get all four of them.

10. my Line 6 M13 IS my pedalboard...

11. jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    How you liking it? Anything you dislike about it?

12. mgalat

mgalat

Dec 5, 2011
    From a guy who uses a Gt-10b (boss multi), I would say line 6 m9 is probably what you want if you're going in that direction.

Upside:
    Excellent mod stuff (from what I've heard), up to 3 effects at a time, small size for the amount of stuff you get.

Downside:
    No effects loop, all multis struggle with dirt and synths, and only 3 effects at a time

13. I don' use overdrives or distortion.. but the guys who use them say these are not great with bass... though i think that with a little tweaking some of them could be usable.
    I don't like the Envelope Filter just like it is.. but, again, with a little tweaking and some tricks (lowering down the gain before the filter and getting it back up again after it), it´s usable.

Love the phasers, choruses, tremolos, delays, the tube compressor, EQs, the Bass Octaver (just great!), Reverbs.. etc.
    And it duplicates it's power if you get an expression pedal.

I really love this unit.. i don't need anything else !;)

cheers !

14. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    For me that's THE problem with single pedals. If you use different settings in different songs (or even during a song) the multis are the answer. If not, as you're saying, singles are the best in my opinion.

15. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    After doing some more research I think I will be getting a m9. Now i just need some opinions on expression pedals for it. Cheap and durable would be best.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    +1 on the zoom b3. I plan to get one myself. I'm very intrigued with what the zoom b3 has to offer. I've owned a zoom b2.1u for the past 2 years and it has served me well, and now I'm interested in buying the zoom b3. I will be buying real soon.