Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thinking of going to EBS Fafner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Dec 4, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've been curious to hear EBS amps for awhile, and I've come across an EBS Fafner recently. I'd have to sell my GK 1001RB-II head and add some cash. Anyone think I should do it?

~Patrick

2. Dont sell the GK for the Fafner.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well, I own both amplifiers, so I'll comment.

They are both very good amps, but different. The Fafner,
    despite being rated at 100 less watts, is louder and more powerful than the GK. The Fafner does a better "overdrive" and is perhaps a bit more versatile. It has the sound you can ONLY get with a tube preamp. The Fafner is larger and heavier than the GK.

The GK has a unique sound of its own. Its a very nice amp, and in fact, I'm using it as my gigging amp now. Its much smaller and lighter than the Fafner. It has a nice, clear, punchy sound. You can dial in grit with the boost control, but it is a bit different than the Fafner tube overdrive.

You really can't lose with either one.

4. never played a GK before, but I own a Fafner recently, and I totally love it. You definitely can't go wrong with it, very loud, versatile, and it sounds great. But it's op to you which one you prefer

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Everything that he just said. :cool: