1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of growing my hair long....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Go for it.

47 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. No way.

6 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. Go half and half. One side long. One side short. Then choose.

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. Rub carrot juice in it and go away.

16 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm 47.

6'2" and slender(ish).

I am a technician presently. Not a lot of chances for advancement. And, quite honestly, I am at a financial point in my life where clawing up the ladder isn't really my thing anymore anyway. There are no restrictions on hair length at my workplace.

I have a wife and two young daughters.

My hair is still jet black. You can find a few greys if you are up in my personal space.

I can not wear a hat at work.

I don't even know if any of that matters, but I figured I would answer some obvious questions.

I'm just wanting a different look. These days my hair is somewhat "spiked" most of the time. But I have let it grow for a couple months and it's too long to spike anymore.

I'm at a hair crossroads.

I cut my own hair. It takes about 15 minutes. 1/2" up the back. Fade to 3/4" on the sides. 1" on top. And a little extra in the front. I could cut it tonight easy.

Or I can keep going.

For those of you in my age group who have long hair, are there any disadvantages these days? The last time I had long hair was 1993. People seem more tolerant of pretty much anything these days. But do you ever think "It's just not worth it" and get tempted to cut yours? If so, why?

That "in between" stage is annoying as crap.

Long hair is easy. Tie it up or run a brush through it. Done. Short, spikey hair is easy. Wet hands, a tiny dab of hair gel. Mess it up. Roll out.

But in between is a pain, and usually looks awful. It would be a commitment.

What say you?

ihaveaquestion likes this.
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Bleach it and dye it carrot orange. Make sure it's carrot length, too. Whatever you do, just be sure to embarrass your kids the maximum amount. That's what parents are on the planet to do.

Passinwind, petrus61, PillO and 8 others like this.
  3. Your hair, your style, your choice.
    If it's a problem or doesn't look good, it's easy to go back.
    Of course be careful around power tools, just like you would if you wore a "claw up the latter" noose (aka necktie).
    Now if your thinking of going Iggy Pop (shirtless) we might need to talk about that. :woot:

4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I'm a bit biased, having had my hair in a ponytail since 1978.

The potential problem is that long period during which your hair is growing long, but isn't yet long enough to put in a ponytail. That period was brutal for me, as my hair was constantly in my face unless I wore a hat or headband or something. But I persevered, and clearly remember the day (during my sophomore year of college) that I was first able to pull it back in a ponytail: It felt like the beginning of a new life. I swore on that day that I would never cut it shorter than that again, and I've kept that promise.

Anyway, my advice would be to think about what your hair will be like during that lengthy transition period and what you will do with it. Getting it to ponytail length requires serious commitment!

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Got a dozen years on ya' but been letting mine grow a bit the last couple years, after cutting shorter and shorter for a time. When it was short too many thought I was sick. If you got it, flaunt it.
    680DEF8E-697A-4CF2-B214-F6D1629A451E.

6. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    If you got the follicles, let it grow. I envy you :cool:

The hair on the top of my head is really thin nowadays, so I always keep my hair 1/4" at most lol. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a look that's worse than balding and long hair.

Technician? Keep your hair out of belts, pulleys and gears!

Justinvs, Gaolee and two fingers like this.
  7. If you're going to grow it long you have to give it at least a year to get any length. It's making it through the Summer that's tough. Even a ponytail gets ya pretty sweaty. I always wanted long hair. I was in an employment position like yours that allowed me to do it so I went for it. It was fun for a while until the maintenance and sweating told me it was time to cut it off.

Here I am a couple of years in:

img042.

Ended up here before cutting it off:

MewithLongHair.

StyleOverShow, osv, fretter and 3 others like this.
  8. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Like the OP, I haven't had long hair since the early 90s (the grunge days had a big influence on me). I'll never do it again. Aside from the maintenance, I feel like it's tough for men to pull off long hair at any age.

My advice? Find a good stylist and ask them for their opinion. I recently changed my style after about 15 years of having the same cut, and I was really happy with the result. It's hard to come up with a new idea on your own, and for me, Googling "men's haircuts 2018" didn't help much. Just a lot of images of guys with the uber-trendy cut that's been dominant over the last few years (short sides, slicked back top, with a beard, of course). My hairline has slightly receded, and that cut wouldn't work for me even if I wanted it. I found a new stylist and talked with him for a bit about what could work best for me before he started cutting.

If means you have to stop cutting your own hair for awhile, the result could be worth it.

ErikP.Bass and two fingers like this.
  9. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've always had a full head of hair, and thick, too. (My hair, not my head. But then, I do play bass...)

When I decided to go with the shaved head with a goatee look about a dozen years ago, I figured that would be temporary, and I'd grow mine back whenever I wanted to. Thing is, I preferred the shaved look, and stayed with it for a long time.

Over the past couple of years, I would try to grow my hair back, but with limited success. First of all, it would only seem to grow about an inch-and-a-half, then stop. Secondly, it would just stand straight up, and I'd look like Christopher Walken. Third, it was a lot grayer than it used to be, and gets worse with each attempted grow-back. After a couple attempts on having hair again, I said skip it, and keep shaving my scalp. Which is OK because most people think I look younger with no hair than a headfull of gray hair.

two fingers likes this.
  10. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    You’re sure right about the in between stage. I’m 70 now and can’t get past it before giving up... way too much work.

two fingers likes this.
  11. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    For a good time, Google mushroom haircut

two fingers likes this.
  12. Go for it, if you have it grow it. I had cut mine because of some job issues/possible change last spring. Ended up I'm staying where I am and it's allowed. No haircuts for awhile and none planned.

two fingers likes this.
  13. I denied that I stopped cutting my hair for vanity, but it feels great to be only one of two men of our age with hair this long out in the bars.
    The other guy is putting a lot more effort into it, leather chaps & bikers boots, etc., LOL!

I'm just too damn lazy & cheap to get my hair cut or shave.

TBH I've gotten it cut twice into bangs & regretted it both times. At the time it was bothering me, always in my face.
    Anyway, next time it starts to bother me I'm just going to start whipping my hair back like Willow Smith.

Stylist?
    foreign word for me

Justinvs and two fingers like this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

my balding daddy always said: "you can't have hair and brains, both." maybe he wasn't my real dad. but whatever. :laugh:

i voted to let it go/grow. good luck with your hair! :thumbsup:

15. Oberst

Oberst

Oct 1, 2018
    Follicly challenged so, no meaningful advice to offer.

two fingers likes this.
  16. I thankfully have no follicle challenges, but this would be my response if it had anything to do with facial hair. I would have no place in that discussion. :thumbsup:

two fingers likes this.
  17. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Any hair day is a good hair day. Let your freak flag fly!

slobake and two fingers like this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that both my grandfathers died with heads full of black hair. My father in his 70s has a head full of black on top and grey temples.

19. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'll only contribute a soundtrack.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm 47, so in your age bracket for the most part.
    When I see guys in my age group with long hair, and it fits with who they are, it looks cool. The guys who grow it out to look cool, or hang on to days gone by, they look like dorks.

-Mike