Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thinking of having a custom made this summer.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Jan 24, 2004.

1. I am thinking of having my friend who made me my fretless J build me a custom this summer.

As for the wood choices, I am not sure, but this will be a 4 string fretted. The electronics, will be active/passive, and a 3 band, and possibly peizos. The brands and specific styles, I am still unaware about.

But I must know if there are any really specific things I should be noting out on certain choices. And what works best with what.

For the wood, it'll be have a simple body wood, like ash, alder, mahogony. And a more exotic body wood like Ebony, or Walnut, or some spalted, or flamed top.

The neck, I would like to be laminated, but one peice maple may suffice.

Just trying to get some ideas down, and running through the head.

2. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    Sounds like a great idea, i just had to drop my plans with shuker for now, because my funds didn't quiet reach.
    About ideas, what tone are you trying to get, that's the most importaint thing to know before choosing woods and electronics.

3. Well, I am really trying to get the mid ground between vintage and high-fi sounding, or something that could do both, so something that would get a Jazz tone, a MM tone, or a Wal, or other high end hi fi basses.

I'm thinking for the pickups, a MM p'up at the bridge and a J right next to it, on the bridge side, and a non MM style dual coil in the mid or neck position.

So, I am looking for a warm and very versatile tone.

4. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    Uhm, perhaps africanwalnut as body and wenge/maple neck, and a rosewood fingerboard.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think that a Wenge neck should be one thing on your list. As far as body wood, probobly Mahogany or Walnut. A lot of the sound that you're after is more in the electronics than the woods. You can copy a Ken Smith's wood combo's, but if you don't have that same electronics as the Smith's bass, it won't sound like a Smith. The same holds true for Wal's and Alembic's, both with unique electronics that yield a signature sound. I guess that's just something to chew on.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've done this, at great expense. The bass is in my avatar is currently for sale for less than half of what I originally paid.

My advice is this: Try to find what you want off the shelf. The luthiers know a hell of a lot more about what woods and hardware work well together and what pickups/electronics work well than you do.

The bass I had custom built turned out absolutely goregeous, with fantastic sound and great quality, but actually playing and living with it I've found it's not my style. After all that nitpicking and specifics for every single component all the way down to the composition of the nut, I ended up with a goregeous fantastic bass, that, if I picked it up and tried out in a store, I wouldn't have bought.

Save your money and buy an off-the-shelf bass. You'll have more chance of getting what you want that way. That's my advice. Probably not what you wanted to hear. :)

7. Markdezy

Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Atlanta
    I'm kind of doing the opposite, I've been designing some bodies and when I get enough cash, I'm gonna start buying parts and putting the beast together :)