Thinking of installing a Dimarzio Model One pickup in my G&L L2000 Tribute...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 1, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a G&L L2000 Tribute 4-string that I have modified quite a bit and now I'm thinking about modding it a bit more. I'm thinking about installing a dimarzio Model One right behind the neck (just like on an EB-3/EB-0). What I don't know is if the strings would even come close to lining up with the strings at that point.

Some questions:

• Would routing out wood right behind the neck weaken the bass?
    • What is the spacing between the poles on this kind of pickup?
    • Do you think this is a good idea?

I'm never going to be selling this bass, so I'm not worried about the impact that doing this would have on resale.

2. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    Sorry I can't help, but if it turns out you can't use the DM1, you should consider a single coil 51-p-bass style pickup right at the neck. You could wire it in with a cap in the channel to make it more "muddy" or give it it's own tone control. I was inspired by the Jerry Scheff Lakland bass with the single coil right at the neck, it sounds HUGE.

3. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I'm not going to get into the structural mechanics about routing out that much wood so close to the neck- I'll let the building experts chime in there.

As far as the polepiece spacing, even if the polecpieces are a bit too narrow for the strings, you should still be fine. You might lose some sound but you wont lose it all. Maybe keep the pickup a little higher than the other ones, but not too high. The string vibrates more widely the further away you are from the bridge and you dont want to start really digging in and find your strings are clattering on the pickup cover.

As far as it being a good idea- you're the only one who can judge that. Like you said, you've modded this one a lot already and you're not worried about resale.
    Its not a reversible mod though, just keep that in mind.

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Apparently, it's a surface mount pickup with no height adjustment. It sits in a 5/8 inch deep route and screws right into the wood on top. Every bass I've seen with this kind of pickup has it butted up against the end of the neck. There is a 1/4" of body wood between the end of the neck and where the route is.

5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm thinking about replacing the tone control with a push/pull pot and then using that for an on/off switch for the pickup. I would wire the pickup right to the switch and then to the output jack. That way I could turn the volume all the way off (silencing the other pickups) and just turn on the Model One or I could have any combination of the two systems together. I can't imagine I'm going to want to turn the tone down on the Model one, to be honest.

6. Hi.

I'm going to vote for "it doesn't affect the structural integrity in any way".

Here's the Model One route in my Epi:

Kaulataskuntasoitus.jpg

Regards
    Sam

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It's a surface mount pickup, right? No height adjustment?

8. Hi.

Yep, a surface mount one.

The pole-pieces have hex slots though. I haven't had the need to adjust 'em, hot and bassy enough with the standar Epi T-Bird pickups as-is.

Regards
    Sam

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Any other thoughts?

10. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Here's a DiMarzio Will Power neck pickup on a Trib SB2. The nut width is a bit narrower than your L2K but I suspect you'd be just fine on an L2K.

It is surface mount - I had to get the pickguard cut out as well as the route in the body. You could get a little height adjustability with some foam under the pickup and using the mounting screws if you don't mind the flange/body gap.

I like it quite a bit in conjunction with the MFD split-coil and have considered doing the same to a JB2 but honestly have never been tempted with an L2K. I think the L2K neck pickup in series has all the woof and depth I'll ever need. I'd also be concerned that the output of the added pickup would be too much lower than the MFD humbuckers for my taste (I have cranked the SB2 pickup down a fair amount so it doesn't overpower the neck pickup), but I like how my MFDs sound wide open passive (I control the volume at the amp more than the bass).

It's your bass - do what makes you happy.

Attached Files:

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    True about the neck pup in series - pretty deep and woofy. I hadn't thought about the output difference...

Even with the Model One poles raised the output difference might be too much to make it worth it.

12. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000

Hey Tbird, is that an end mill you are using to route for pickups ?
    I have some that belonged to my Dad but wasn't sure...looking for flat bottom that the end mill would give. ( rough in w. drill press and clean up sides with super sharp wide chisel )

13. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Any chance someone here could record a sound clip if the Will Power or Model One neck pickup compared to some other kind of pickup?

14. craigb

15. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
  16. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I have no experience with that DiMarzio pickup. But, I'd be quite surprised if the G&L MFD's didn't have more output. They're about the loudest passive pickups I've ever owned.

17. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    +1:bassist:

18. craigb

Yep - there's one with the DiMarzio only with tone switch on #8 and one with the tone switch off #9 (actually that may sound backwards - one has no tone rolloff and the other has tone rolloff via a switch). I installed a tone switch like on a Yamaha BB714BS because I liked how that bass sounded.

19. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I think I'm going to pass. The pickup sounded deep and clear in the clips but I can get a very similar tone with the pups and options I already have. Thanks for the help, folks!

20. Hi.

Yes.

Intended for CNC routers though, not for metal cutting.

The sharpening angles (especially on the flutes) are a bit different.

A regular end mill for metal can be (and usually is) used, but a great care must be taken to prevent chipping and burning, especially if the chip grooves are small as they usually are in mills intended for cutting metals. A vac helps a lot.

Regards
    Sam

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021